Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Gavota Tulips



These are my second favorite tulips. I have already planted two other bunches of them to make sure that I had plenty blooming. They just look so regal. I do get a lot of people asking about them, so I know that I am not alone in my admiration. In fact, I was going up to my friend's MIL's house to see the new foals and we passed a house that had a whole garden full of Gavotas. I'm so jealous!

These tulips are easy to grow and multiply readily. They also do not weaken; they bloom just as strong the fourth year as they did the first. That's what I like to have in a tulip- no fuss.

There is one small issue with them. They are supposed to have white edges, but I have noticed that many have yellow edges. They are still pretty, but I do prefer the maroon on white. Those are good Badger colors, while the other colors are U of M colors.

6 comments:

crazygramma said...

You have now made me more determined to get some tulips into the grown this year. Yours are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Those are showstoppers! I have to add them to my wish list. I've never seen Gavota tulips before.

Sylvana said...

Sabine- Aren't they just fantastic! They are easy growers and multiply well too! What's not to love?

Alice said...

They are such a stunning tulip. All of your tulips are beautiful. I like your favourite, too. The petals seem to glow and radiate light, don't you think? We have a big festival in Canberra in the Spring called Floriade. There are many thousands of tulips and other bulbs as well as flowers used as underplantings for the bulbs. It's really spectacular but I find it almost overwhelming and not my type of garden at all. But it's a show-garden so it has to bring in the tourists and really 'hit them in the eye'. I like clusters of tulips like you have rather than masses of brilliant colour.

Sylvana said...

Alice, I love them because they look rich, luxurious, and bold. I do think that they look like they are glowing.

There is an arboretum that has a spring bulb display, but I have never gotten around to going to it. I am going to make plans to go next spring though. I hear that it is really spectacular.

nefertiti said...

I have Gavotas too. I planted them in the fall of -06. They go very well in color whith the tree they're planted beneath (Malus royalty)
Mine also has yellow edges, but I like that :-)