Wednesday, August 31, 2005

August Overhead


The last day of August. The summer went so fast. I can hardly believe it. Here is a shot of my garden in all it's jungly glory. I like that it is overgrown in some spots because it screens the garden sitting areas from the road and alley. You can actually go out and sit in the garden without feeling like you are on stage.

As you can see, the sunfowers have taken over. I moved a lot of them while they were still little, but couldn't bring myself to take out the rest that were growing where they probably shouldn't be. They are so beautiful and attract tons of birds. Cardinals and goldfinches especially. When they fall over from the weight of the seed heads, I remove the plant and place the seed heads out where the birds can get at them. I have a grapevine wreath hanging on the side of the shed and I often tuck the smaller heads into that.

This picture is just after a major bout of weeding, but there is still lots more to do.

5 comments:

jac said...

Lovely !
But you should have taken it with little more light.

Sylvana said...

I know, but that I do things when I think of them. It just happened to be that it was about 4pm when I thought to do this. If I remember at a better time, I will post a better picture.

OldRoses said...

My two favorite times in the garden are spring, just after everything is planted and the perennials are just starting to come up and late in the summer when everything is running riot.

Great shot! Your gardens did really well this year.

Sylvana said...

It certainly grew! But I don't think it came out quite as organized as I wanted it to be.

crazygramma said...

It looks great.