Saturday, August 05, 2006

Grilled Salmon

I usually don't buy fish that doesn't come prebattered or breaded (except tilapia - BEST FISH EVER!) but I saw this salmon fillet at our grocery store and it just looked so lovely. And it was on sale, so I bought it.



I was planning on cooking it similarly to the pike that I had done a while back. I ended up grilling it instead.

For seasoning I used sea salt, pepper, red wine (cabernet shiraz), and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.

I have never grilled fish before, and I thought that the fish would get flaky and fall through the grill. So initially I had covered the grill in tinfoil. That didn't seem to work well for flipping the fish, so I tore it off. And you know what? The fish never stuck or started to fall apart - it was beautiful.



I grilled them on both sides until the fish was opaque all the way through. I think it was less than twenty, maybe less than fifteen, minutes total grilling time.



They were delicious! I had a small piece and my husband had a piece, and my son ate this whole plateful that you see here in the picture. He said it was the best fish that he had ever eaten. I would make this again.

I also made a caper sauce for this fish (my husband and son don't like it, but I do). I chopped up three roma tomatoes, added a couple tablespoons of capers, and a teaspoon each of lemon basil and pineapple mint (both from my garden). I heated this in a small sauce pan until the tomatoes were wilted. I thought that this went well with the fish even if I was the only one who would eat it!

9 comments:

Isaac Carmichael said...

Nummy!

Lynn said...

I had grilled salmon on saturday too!! We went to a restaurant that one of my kids works at.

your son must have a huge appetite! That's a lot of salmon!! looks fabulous too ;)

Sylvana said...

SSB, indeedy!

Primrozie, eerie. Three people besides yourself said that they had grilled salmon within the last week too. It must be salmon season.

And yes, that was a LOT of salmon! I think he will be seven feet tall at the rate he's eating.

Lynn said...

Hey, I posted a path picture on xanga.

Christine Boles said...

OG, I've never gotten around to eating talapia~ what is its taste like?

SierraBella said...

Grilling is about the only way we'll eat fish.
Most firm fish grill well, and don't flake apart, like red snapper and rock cod.
Your pictures are making me hungry!

Sylvana said...

Primrozie, Thanks for the shout out! I can't wait to see the finished product!
We have to get new front steps. I think we are going to go with cut limestone. It is a common stone around here and I thought it would help to add to the rustic feel of our house.

Christine, I think it reminds me of scallops. It is not fishy at all but isn't bland like a lot of white fish can be. I guess I really can't describe it very well at all - you will just have to try it!

Sierrabella, I might try to grill tilapia. I think that would taste awesome grilled. BUT I bought ANOTHER salmon fillet that I think we will be grilling first!

Sandy said...

I love salmon. I work at a fishing resort so I am lucky to get filets all the time. My husband makes the best marinade for bbq salmon.

Sylvana said...

Sandy, can you give out the recipe for the marinade?