Saturday, November 04, 2006

Designing Blind

Every fall I am faced with trying to figure out where to plant my new bulbs.

I hate it.

I feel like I'm designing blind. I can't see where the other bulbs are. I can't see what the colors, sizes and textures look like together. I always seem to miss the obvious bare patches even though I do keep maps of my plantings.

I hate it!

This morning as I was waking up, I came up with a brilliant plan. (Right before waking up and right before falling asleep are the most productive times for thinking for me.)

Brilliant Bulb Plan:
Instead of planting the bulbs directly in the ground in the fall, why not plant them in biodegradeable pots. In the spring when everything is coming up, you can just take the blooming pot and plant it, pot and all, where ever you need it!

BRILLIANT!!

Bulbs are at a deep discount right now, and I could probably still get my hands on some potting soil. I might just try this out this year.

4 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Let us know how it works out. I know some garden centers (maybe just the big box stores) are selling more blooming tulips, etc. in the spring, I suppose for gardeners who didn't have a chance to plant bulbs or for those who didn't realize that fall is when you plant bulbs.

linda t said...

I just found your blog!
I can't wait to read all your posts!
I live in Phx. AZ... but grew up in WI on a dairy farm.
We go back there every year but I still miss the four seasons... especially the fall.
Where in WI do you live and garden and cook?
I just posted my garden pics in Nov. from the southwest!

Kasmira said...

I agree: Brilliant!

My take on the idea is to plant bulbs in decorative pots, chill them in the garage, and then bring them out to bloom on my doorstep or deck. After they begin to fade, I transplant to the garden. This is what I did with white hyacinths last year. This coming spring, I'll see if the transplanting bothered them.

Anonymous said...

That sounds a little like the wildflower tape/greeting cards approach - you just pop the whole package in the ground, and voilĂ ! Genius!

I'm afraid that my approach to planting flower bulbs is always purely random.... I love to just throw them in a corner where I think they'll have fun, and wait to see what happens. It doesn't seem to bother them when I plant in layers of bulbs - they just cluster around each other and keep on growin'.

Have fun with yours!