I have only made quiche once; and although it wasn't terrible, it wasn't the best.
But this time, it was AWESOME!!!
Start with the pastry. It is very important that the butter be cold and that you do not over mix. The thing that makes the pastry flaky is the tiny bits of un-mixed butter melting and expanding, leaving air pockets.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick COLD butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbs ICE COLD water
Bake it slightly at 425 degrees before putting in the filling.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups light cream (the only cream that I had was half-and-half singles - the kind that you use for coffee. 48 of them equals 2 cups :)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cheese (usually, you would use Swiss - for this I used my four Italian cheese mix)
- 2-3 tablespoons minced sweet onion
- 1-2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped, raw spinach (I probably used more than this)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (and I probably used more than this too)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4-1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
This was even great as left overs!