Sunday, May 06, 2007

More May Shots

I love bulbs and my bulb beds are looking so good this year. They are filling out wonderfully.


These Bright Parrot tulips that I got from Breck's last fall just bloomed today. They are AWESOME!! I'm so glad that I got them last year, because they aren't in the catalog this year. I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the bulbs that I got from Breck's. So even though they are fairly expensive, I think that they are worth the money - especially if you use the $25 coupon that they send every year. I will be using it again this year!


I got these as a mixed tulip bag - they were ALL purple! Which is just fine, because I like purple.


A shot of my main bulb beds. You can see the Gavotas blooming just on the other side of the path.


These are my favorite tulips - Princess Irene. This picture is pretty good at highlighting their color, but I think that seeing them in person is far better.


This is another lily tulip. I can not remember the name. I bought it on special and stuck it in the ground without recording it. It is in the big berm, which does not seem to be very friendly to my bulbs. I have lost every one that I have planted in it except this one (which was a pack of ten).


The rodgeria leaves have unfurled. They still have quite a bit of growing to do. This plant gets a few feet tall.


"Elizabeth" magnolia in bloom. The tree is only in its second year at our house, so it only has three blooms, but they are just amazing.

7 Comments:

Blogger Zoey said...

Hi Sylvana,
Your tulips are looking great.
I like the purple lily ones and the orange Princess Irene. I have some that look quite sililar, but I don't remember their names.

I think my tulips will be blooming this week. I'm always the last person to get tulips!

5/07/2007 4:45 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I will be over to see yours when you post pics. I love tulips and am always on the look-out for new varieties to try out.

I want to get more lily tulips. But I think I'm done planting in that middle berm until I figure out what the problem is. Unfortunately, that's where I need them the most!

5/07/2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

My bulbs have finished for this year here in Germany. But I'll be planting more this Autumn. I like the Princess Irene. The colour is great :)

5/07/2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger Blackswamp_Girl said...

I am SO with you in the Princess Irenes! This is the first year I planted those in my garden, and I've totally fallen in love with them. I'll have to post a picture, but they look so nice with the purple heuchera and bronze-leaf grasses when backlit by the sun.

Have you found that your Princess Irenes live for a few years, or do you have to replace them every single year?

5/08/2007 2:26 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Haddock, I've got another couple of weeks and then it on with the perennials!

Blackswamp Girl, my Princess Irenes are over 6 years old and still just as strong and beautiful as the first spring. In fact, they have multiplied a little (just a couple more plants - not major multipliers).
Good luck with yours!

5/08/2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa Blair said...

Wow! The Princess Irene tulips are a beauty. I can see why they are your favorites.

5/11/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Lisa, I have been having trouble finding more of these too. They have been multiplying but very slowly.

5/13/2007 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home