Friday, June 01, 2007

Late Start, Early Start

I finally got my veggie/herb garden seeds from Jung that I ordered about a three weeks ago. How long does it take to put a dozen seed envelopes in a box?
Normally this wouldn't be a problem since I generally don't start planting my veggies until a week or two after Memorial Day - but this year I got a jump start (for me anyway) and had started planting two weeks ago. I had already replaced much of what I had ordered with other seeds, so...

I will be making ANOTHER veggie garden bed to house the items that I just got from Jung. I needed an additional bed anyway. I can cram a lot of veggies in a 4x16 bed, but I want to grow more squash and herbs.

The seeds I purchased:
  • Pumpkin "Early Sweet Sugar Pie" (which I already replaced with "Triple Treat"; a fabulous pumpkin that I had grown one other year and made the best pies with and what I had really wanted anyway)
  • Snow pea "Mammoth Melting Sugar"
  • Edible pod pea "Sugar Daddy" (which I have already replaced with "Sugar Snap" left over from last year)
  • Garden pea "British Wonder"
  • Filet bean "Maxibel"
  • Kale "Blue Curled Vates"
  • Broccoli "Packman Hybrid"
  • Lettuce "Baby Star" (which I already replaced with "Buttercrunch")
  • Salad greens "Jung's Gourmet Mesclun Mix" (I have grown this before and my family and the groundhog highly approved)
  • Pepper "Cherry Bomb Hybrid" and "Margaret's"
  • Spinach "Bloomsdale Long Standing" (which I discovered later I already had seeds!)
  • Carrot "Sweetness III Hybrid" (which I have already replaced with "Gold Mine" and "Nantes Scarlet"
  • Basil "Mammoth Napoletano" and sweet basil "Italian Large Leaf" (both of which I already replaced with what I had really wanted anyway "Genovese")
I also get left overs from my neighbors every year (packs of 6 when they only need 4 plants - I get 2! I love free plants!) . This year so far I have three different kinds of tomatoes, an eggplant, and two sweet peppers. The eggplant and peppers I planted in the flower garden since I had run out of space in my veggie garden and haven't finished the new bed yet. They will look nice and help fill in some space. I am thinking about starting a few more veggies in the flower garden, I have all this extra space in there, and having something growing in it should keep me from buying more plants!

Well, we'll see anyway.

4 comments:

OldRoses said...

Veggies in your flowerbed. You know what that means, right? A cottage garden! Traditional cottage gardens always had a mix of veggies and flowers. Pictures! We want pictures!

Sylvana said...

OldRoses I like to think of my house as a cottage so that is very fitting. You know I'm good for pictures ;) I'll post some as things fill out.

Unknown said...

I love mixing veggies and herbs in with the flower garden! Some of the eggplants are gorgeous with their purple-tinged leaves. :)

Sylvana said...

Blackswamp Girl, I have eggplant in a big pot and am trying to grow black-eyed susan vine around it. So far no sprouts from the BESV seeds, though.