Monday, October 11, 2010

Corpse Flower Live Feed






Our university has the privileged of being home to one of the few captive corpse flowers around the world. It has been about 9 years in the making, but it has finally bloomed!

You can go HERE to see the live feed of this flower and to learn a little more about this amazing flower.

It is said to smell of rotting meat, but I have smelled rotting meat and I truly beg to differ. It smells like a diaper pail. A giant diaper pail. In fact you can smell it over 100 yards away easily, even with no breeze.

It is beautiful, and HUGE!


[update: since the flower has completed its cycle the live feed is no longer available, but they still have a few pictures and some information on this flower at THIS LINK.]

9 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

They really are quite impressive. Must be a year for corpse flowers! There was a corpse flower that bloomed at UC Berkeley earlier this year, around July. Pretty in pictures, but the aroma leaves something to be desired :P

Northern Shade said...

Wow, such a unique looking flower, after such a long wait. The last shot next to a human really gives it size perspective, since it looks much smaller in the first ones. I like unusual flower structures, and find them fascinating.

Sylvana said...

Curbstone Valley, I was just at their website today looking at their archives of the flower that bloomed in July -- it was beautiful. It looked slightly different from this one. I wonder if the scents are a little different too.

Northern Shade, that human is me! I'm about 5'7" and it looks like this flower might be a bit taller than me. It was really beautiful and interesting. It is hard to see in the picture that I took of its "insides", but the bottom of the spadix is ringed with hundreds of little yellow tipped red-black flowers.

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow, 9 years for a bloom. How exciting that you got to see it in person!

meemsnyc said...

Wow, what an interesting flower! That's not a smell I'd be able to tolerate. Ewww.

Sylvana said...

Zoey, I was pretty excited. I heard about it three weeks before it actually bloomed and had been anxious that it would happen on the weekend when I would be out of town. I got so lucky! Because it only lasts for a day, and I was even able to get there at its peak :)

Meemsnyc, many of the visitors were not able to stay in the room with it long. At first it did make me a little queasy, but its pure awesomeness helped me get over that pretty quickly.

SouthCoast Guy said...

so cool

Owen said...

I'm jealous; several Amorphophallus are among my favorite plants. I'd love to see one of those bloom in person...

Sylvana said...

South Coast Guy and Owen, this was a truly awesome plant. Totally worth smelling like diapers for an hour or so afterward!