Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Strange Coincidence

For this weekend, I had on my "to do" list obtaining a piece of 4" piping to extend my downspouts since I had taken down the full length of downspout and installed shorter pieces to accommodate the rain barrels I had purchased a few years back. I usually take the short pieces off and reinstall the normal lengths, but I thought it might be easier to just get extenders.

My husband and I had made plans to go shopping on Saturday for the material.

On Friday, as I sat parked waiting for my son to come out of his dorm so I could take him home for the weekend, I noticed that the construction dumpster next to me had a piece of piping laying on top - the very diameter that I was looking for. I jumped out of the car and checked the length. It looked like it was the perfect length!

I climbed up on the dumpster in my dress clothes as my son was approaching the car. "Mom?"

"I can't believe my luck!" I shouted happily back at him. "They're just throwing this away. I'm taking it!"

He just shook his head laughing.

Turns out it was exactly the diameter and length that I needed. No waste and it freed up more time I could spend with my son this weekend. Win-win-win!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really funny story and free is always good no matter the personal embarrassment I guess.

My mother-in-law dumpster dives for plants. Home Depot always throws out all the landscaping plants at season's end and deposits them in the dumpster out back. My mother-in-law has landscaped her large garden this way.

But the hilarious thing, besides seeing an over-weight middle-aged woman climbing into a dumpster for free plants (trees too), is that she loaded them into her top-of-the-line Lexus and drove off with a huge smile on her face for the money she had saved. Oxymoron to me.

I always told her I was going to out her on my blog and she proudly said that it was OK. Go figure since I can get her all the free plants she needs without the embarrassing antics courtesy of my job. She likes the sport of it is my guess.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Sylvana! It's funny! I believe that nothing is accidental in our lives, especially so close to Christmas. It was a present to you for your hard work! Have a very merry Holiday!
P.S. It's always good to surprise our kids!

Sylvana said...

GardenwalkGardentalk, I like the idea of things not going to waste, that's my main incentive for dumpster diving. Although, in this case, it was that, plus not having to pay for it, plus not having to waste time shopping for one, plus the fact that it was just too perfect!

Perhaps your mil is happy to be saving plants from a horrible demise. I know I would!

Tatyana, I have been having such a string of good luck - I almost don't even want to talk about it!

My son knows me enough to know he never knows what to expect.