Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sesame Hot Bastard Noodles

Ah! Making these noodles was a test in patience. Not because they are so hard to make, they are actually quite easy. It was due to a series of unfortunate events. First, I spilled hot oil all over the stove and floor. It took nearly an hour to get it all cleaned up. Then I realized that I didn't have enough sesame seeds. Then, while I was toasting what little seeds I could find, I had to help my son chop the cilantro and I ended up almost burning the seeds. Then, when I put the peanut butter in the pan, it nearly burned too, even though I had the heat turned down to "warm". All while I was making the noodles I kept yelling "bastard" so my husband SSB suggested that would be a good name for them. I wasn't sure how they would turn out considering all the problems, but they were NUMMY!!

Obviously you need to make noodles. I used spaghetti. They are a good all-around noodle.

Toast three tablespoons sesame seeds (I only had about teaspoon, so I made up the difference with cashews). Turn down heat. Add a tablespoon of sesame oil (or just use what you have). Throw in three cloves minced garlic. When the garlic has turned translucent, add a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter - smooth or crunchy. Sprinkle in a little cayenne pepper and add a couple tablespoons of chopped chives the recipe called for green chilies, which I also did not have so I improvised with a few dashes of cayenne pepper). Also stir in a few tablespoons light soy sauce (I didn't have this either so I used regular LaChoy) and a tablespoon of lime juice.

When everything is mixed into a nice sauce, remove from heat and add four tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Add the cooked, drained noodles and stir to coat them all with the sauce. Salt and pepper the whole thing. If, like me, you didn't have enough sesame seeds, you can top everything with a couple handfuls of cashew pieces and serve.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

mmmmm...yummy! I love food. Alot.