Sunday, April 23, 2006

SPRING IS HERE!!

Just one month after I took the pictures of the snow storm, I took these pictures of my garden finally waking up for another season of color.

I planted these Pickwick crocuses about five or six years ago. There were just twenty of them then, now they are filling in just I had hoped that they would. I like the way that they brighten the front of the house.

I love crocuses because they mulitply so well and are the first thing to bloom in the spring. I tend to not buy them though because I get too caught up in tulips. This fall, though, I am going to make an effort to get more.

These King Alfred daffodils are to the left of all the crocuses (when facing the house) in my "woodland" bed. I am trying to create a light woodland area where I can have tea and read. I planted these daffodils about six years ago. There were just three of them then. I had piled leaves over this entire area about a foot deep, because I am trying to widen the bed, wanted to protect some of the plants that I planted last year, and really was just too lazy to bag the leaves up. I hadn't had time yet to rake them away, but that isn't stopping these daffodils.
I like daffodils, but they are another victim to the tulip mania that hits every time I go bulb shopping.

I can't remember the name of these tulips, but I think they are Kaufmanniana. They are species tulips. Species tulips are good for naturalizing since they multiply well and maintain their vigor. Many species tulips also have beautiful patterning on the leaves, which you can just make out in this picture. They are low growing, though, so they are best for the front of the bed and look really fantastic in rock gardens. I like to use the species tulips under larger tulips. The species tulips tend to bloom first and by the time they are dwindling, the larger tulips are starting to bloom.

I'm not sure what these are called. I looked them up a couple of times, but I keep forgetting what they are called. They came with the house. They naturalized wonderfully in the yard. Before my son got older and we got the dogs, they would bloom in a great swath across the yard. Now they get trampled too much, and so have contented themselves to taking over my garden instead. That is fine by me. They bloom very early so the only thing that they compete with really are the crocuses. Their blooms outlast the crocuses easily. And they are just so darn cheery!

And, yes, I even got my first dandelion of the season. It is a bit early for them, so I'm hoping that means that I can get an early start on planting too.

YAY SPRING!!

12 comments:

OldRoses said...

GORGEOUS! Crocuses are on my wishlist for fall also. Along with yellow daffodils and MORE tulips. Unlike you, I don't have enough. And King Alfred daffodils are heirlooms. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, you really can't go wrong with crocuses. Just know that squirrels love them! I had to lay down chicken wire over these Pickwicks (as well as many of my other crocuses) for the first two years to keep the squirrels from stealing them. Squirrels tend to go after the fresher buried stuff, so after they lose interest, you can take the wire off.

David (Snappy) said...

Gorgeous pictures.Do you like Dandelions?I posted a picture of an early one too.I keep meaning to buy bulbs for autumn planting like daffodils,crocus,bluebells,and snowdrops.What i have found intrigueing this year is tulips.In peoples gardens and in the gardeners world magasine.
I have some time to select some to order (mail order or online).I laughed about the squirrels.Do they watch you gardening?Or do they hide untill you are gone?

OldRoses said...

Snappy, they do both! And as soon as you go into the house, they run over to your freshly planted beds and dig up everything you planted! I cover my beds with leaves in the fall to thwart them. It masks the scent of the freshly dug soil. That's what attracts them I found out after some research. This year, I'm trying to thwart a rabbit that is destroying my tulips. I'm using cat hair. Thankfully, my long-haired cat sheds copiously.

Sylvana said...

Snappy, I like dandelions when they are yellow, but hate them when they go to seed. For your first tulips I would recommend species or Darwin tulips. They both are very hardy and mulitply well. My squirrels quite often just rearrange my bed by digging things up and planting them someplace else.

OldRoses, cat/dog hair is what I use to keep rabbits away. I use it on just the plants that I absolutely do not want them gnawing on. It has worked for me for years! I really like to use it around tulips since rabbits like to behead them. Those damn rabbits!

Haddock said...

It's great that spring has finally arrived. The winter was too long this year. I only have Crocuses in my garden this year, but intend to plant some daffodil bulbs in thw autumn

Sandy said...

Good to see that spring has arrived in your neck of the woods.

Rosemarie said...

I think those blue flowers are called scilla. There's a house near me that has their yard full of them and I think they're really pretty and make a nice looking ground cover.

Sylvana said...

Haddock, daffodils multiply well so don't give them some space when you plant them. I say that because I reazlize that I planted mine too close together.

Sandy, FINALLY!!

Rosemarie, yep, that's it!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Your garden is very beautiful! Love it!

SierraBella said...

Catching up with my blog reading today.
Love your spring flowers!
My daffodils beat my scilla this year due to some strange weather maybe?
I'm also loving your recipes, they look real yummy.

Sylvana said...

EEK! I just re-read my comment to Haddock and I'm wondering if I was antihistimined when I wrote that!!
I meant:
"daffodils multiply well so don't forget to give them some space when you plant them. I say that because I realized that I planted mine too close together."

Sonia, thanks! It is finally starting to look like what I had imagined that it would.

Sierrabella, the school down the street had daffodils that came up before my scilla too. I thought that was strange. It must have been the perfect winter for daffodils.