Sunday, February 25, 2007

Thinking Spring

I've been getting my garden supply catalogs and it is really making me itching for spring to start. My visit to my friends mother's garden really got me thinking about how I would like to expand my own veggie garden. She had the set-up that I dream of having some day. But until I get a couple of acres to work with, I will have to keep thinking on a smaller scale.

This year I would really like to try growing some good pesto basil (sweet and spicy with no anise flavor), Romaine lettuce, kale, French green beans (non-fuzzy, stringless, sweet and crisp), leeks, garlic (some hot some not), and maybe even some sweet onions. I already have some idea of the varieties that I would like to try: "Genovese", "Parris Island", "Blue Curled Vates", "Fortex", "Lancelot", "Inchelium Red" & "Silver Rose", and "Walla Walla". Please let me know about your variety recommendations, especially if you are a northern gardener (and, let me know where I can get it!).

Of course, this means that I will have to build new veggie beds. I currently have one 4' x 16' raised bed that my husband and I made with 3 x 4 landscape timbers, a hammer drill, and rebar. All the materials, dirt included, ran less than $100. When I get some more time, I will post the plans for this very easy raised bed. It is 7 years old and still looks perfect.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you two made the raised landscape beds together! :)

The genovese is good, and I liked 'Opal' purple basil as well. All basils taste a little anise-y to me, though, so I'm not sure if that helps! Seeds of Change has a basil sampler that I bought a few years back--it was a fun way of trying varieties, and I am still planting seeds from it.

I looked at Inchelium Red garlic but didn't buy it. I'll happily give you a review of the kinds I did plant later this summer--I think you're supposed to mostly plant garlic in the fall this far north anyway?

Sylvana said...

BSG, he likes being able to help me when the plans are clear and there is heavy lifting involved.