Friday, November 02, 2007

Squirreling Bulbs

I had gotten most of my bulbs planted two weeks ago until all I really had left was a mixed bag. I wasn't looking forward to trying to find homes for all 50 of these, so I came up with a brilliant plan.

I handed a trowel, a container of bone meal, and the bag of tulips to my son. I then told him to go out into the garden and pretend that he was a squirrel burying food for the winter. I explained that the bulbs needed to go into a hole at least 6" deep and that the bone meal needed to be worked into the bottom of the hole - but he had full control over where they were planted.

He gave me a strange look and asked, "Are you sure? You don't care where they go?"

I said, "In nature they pop up where they want so why not in my garden? It will be my springtime surprise!"

He got them all planted and was very happy to do it. He said he would even "squirrel" bulbs for me next year if I wanted.

Actually...


He might be doing it sooner.


I just bought almost 50 more bulbs from Brecks!

9 TULIP BLUE HERON
8 PARADISE ISLAND TULIP
14 TULIP SPRING GREEN
9 INDIAN SUMMER TULIP
9 TULIP WORLD EXPRESSION

OK. I am seriously thinking that I either need professional help

-OR-

I need to be locked in the closet for a good month!

I think I've crossed that line from "Obsessive" to "Compulsive" Gardener!!

7 comments:

kris said...

You are a genius - I'm in awe!! What a great idea to have your son plant for you. You might be pushing it a little though to expect him to do 50 more this fall!!! LOL

Gardenmomma Chris said...

:) Great minds think alike! I did the same with my daughter a few days ago. Only she really got like a squirrel and I am finding them everywhere. She got tired of actually planting them and I found some hidden BEHIND flower pots, in a BASKET (without dirt...). You get the idea. But I guess asking her to plant 250 Daffodils was a BIT much! Have a great day!

thismngardener said...

Hi,

You've been tagged with a MEME. See my blog for the rules.
http://janemngardener.blogspot.com/2007/11/youre-it.html
Jane

kate said...

That was a brilliant idea and your son had fun. I don't know a gardener who isn't compulsive/obsessive/passionate so plant away. Spring will be something to look forward to for you and your son will be proud of the bulbs he planted when they are in flower!

Sylvana said...

Kris, I was thinking about it, but the bulbs that I have coming are special, so I decided against it. I want them to be showcased instead. I'll let him do all the "filler" bulbs ;)

Sylvana said...

GardenMomma & Jane, welcome to my blog!! GM - my son is almost 15. I would never let him near my garden without strict supervision when he was real young.
Jane - thanks for thinking of me. If I ever get time I might actually do one of these memes.

Kate, ah SPRING!! I hate that we have to plant bulbs in the fall because it already has me wishing it were spring and makes me dread the long winter which I actually want to look forward to. Winter is when I catch up on all my indoor activities like reading books, blogging, cocoa drinking, animal snuggling and COOKING!!

Kylee Baumle said...

What a great idea to have your son plant them! It will be fun for both of you to see them coming up next spring.

I have a bulb problem as well......LOL.