Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Stop Me! I Have a Problem!"

I yelled to my husband as I stood there in Menards with my arms and cart loaded with various boxes and bags of bulbs, yet still trying to grab more from the shelves. "Help me! I'm addicted to bulbs!"

He managed to help me put almost ten packs back on the shelves, but I still went home with 300 bulbs! And I still had about 100 that I bought from a garden center the previous weekend, and I have more coming in the mail!!


As I laid the haul onto the living room floor, I began to wonder how I would ever get that many bulbs planted before winter. Saturday was optimal for planting, so I ditched my plans for tearing out our bathroom flooring (to finally put in tile that we had drove over 200 miles south to purchase about 5 years ago), and I began weeding and planting.

By the end of the day, I had an aching back, my garden about 3/4 weeded, and all but about 70 of the bulbs planted. I am planning on finishing planting once it stops raining.

We are going to have a very beautiful spring!

7 comments:

OldRoses said...

I have the same problem! Over 200 bulbs to plant. Can't wait to see photos of your garden next spring.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, and we were in Menards again and the prices dropped!! I almost started to fill another cart. It was really hard to walk away.

I can't wait to see yours either!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I was in Menards the other day too. I didn't get any bulbs there because I was specifically looking for pink tulip bulbs. I think I'll go back and get a few packages.

Sylvana said...

RNP, welcome to my blog!! Yeah, they didn't have much in the line of pink except perhaps Johann Strauss -- which actually is a tulip that I would recommend. It doesn't get very large, but it is quite stunning.

BTW - Menards put the bulbs on an even deeper discount since this post!!

kris said...

I cannot wait to see your photos next spring!!! I'm kind of the same way - they all look so pretty and I know how much I'll enjoy them the following spring - but, oh my, getting them all planted!!

I'm doing mine tomorrow - supposed to be nice out and then cooler this weekend. I'll be stiff and sore on Friday! :)

kate said...

It's a hard addiction to fight! This year I've stayed away from garden centres and plant catalogues ... and it was hard!

Your spring will be filled with beautiful blooms and the hard work will have been well worth it!

Sylvana said...

Kris, the last two years I hardly bought any bulbs, so I was really itching to get them. I really couldn't stop myself!

Kate welcome to my blog! I was at Menards again yesterday (and bought a pack of Queen of the Night -- seriously, I have a problem!!). While I was looking at the bulbs, a man came up behind me and was blocking his frantic wife from the shelves of bulbs. She dodged and weaved trying to get around him, yelling, "I will get to them! You can't stop me!!"
So, it looks like there are quite a few of us out there!