Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yummus Tacos y Taquitos

As you may remember from my Yummus post, I had a large amount of it left over from the New Year Eve party. Remembering what a friend of mine had said when I had first introduced him to hummus, "Oh, it's like a bean dip!" I decided to make tacos from the remaining hummus.

The Yummus recipe was:
  • 1/4 garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 TBS lemon juice
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 2 TBS lemon grass
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
To this I added a packet of taco seasoning. The mix should be just thin enough to spread - not too thin!



Bake at about 350F for about 10 minutes (5-7 minutes if using a toaster oven). If you want a more pliable taco, bake at a lower temp for less time.



I also made taquitos since I had kids in the house that day and didn't want taco toppings all over the living room while they were playing video games. I just cut the taquitos into bite sized pieces. Some have cheese in them, some don't. The kids cleaned two plates of these!



The tacos I topped with a mix of my home-made salsa, sour cream, and avocados with some romaine lettuce thrown on top.


OMG!! It was SO GOOD!! I would buy this at a restaurant.

7 comments:

Gardeness said...

Looks tasty. I'll have to try this some time. Thanks.

KP said...

That looks delicious! Some gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside.

Now I'm going to be thinking about Mexican food all day. ;)

Sylvana said...

The Gardeness, welcome to my blog! this was fantastic. and I liked that I could get the tortillas really crispy without any oil.

KL Parish, welcome to my blog! Even though it was made with hummus, it was surprisingly very Mexican in flavor. I'm still thinking about them!

IBOY said...

That does indeed look yummy! I make a vege-burrito using broccoli, corn, black beans, and red onions chopped up and mixed with red pepper hummus for the filling. Mighty tasty.
Don

D.R. Cootey said...

My 14yo has recently fallen in love with taquitos. I'll definitely be sending her this blog entry. I'd rather encourage this love affair than the ones she wants with boys... ;)

BTW, next time you pop by for a visit, be sure to leave a link to your blog. I had no idea you had done away with the old and created new blogs!

Lean & clean design with an active community. Good for you!

Douglas Cootey
☆ @TheLaughingImp/@DouglasCootey on Twitter
The Splintered Mind\ - Overcoming AD/HD & Depression With Lots Of Humor And Attitude

Lydia said...

I am going to have to try this. Thank you for posting the recipe.

Sylvana said...

IBOY, I love veggie burritos! My favorite is the 7 layer burritos with beans, avocado, lettuce, rice, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream. YUM!!

Doug, well, actually, this is just one of my blogs. I only work regularly on this one and my general one - Syllogism. I am working on getting a cooking blog up, because I LOVE TO EAT!! The others are basically defunct - until I find time and interest for them.

Lydia, welcome to my blog! Hope you like the recipe. You could also do this with other kinds of beans, but the humus definitely gives it a unique taste!