Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's A Brand New Year

I can't believe that it is already 2010! Two more years before the end of the world, you know; and only two more months before the new growing season. So I'd better get going on all these unfinished projects!

I haven't even ordered my seeds for the up-coming season. Luckily I have leftovers from seasons' past, and the seeds have hit the shelves in all the big local stores. You would be so proud of me! I looked for a whole fifteen minutes and didn't buy even one packet! I didn't have my seed-need list, and didn't want to end up with even more of what I already have.

It's been a very busy time for me. Right before Thanksgiving I was asked by a past employer to interim for a position that had suddenly gone vacant. I knew that this was going to happen since a good friend of mine had held the position and had told me he was moving suddenly out of state to be with his girlfriend who had gone to grad school. I accepted the interim position and have been working my full-time business manager job during the day and serving as library supervisor at night (as well as running around trying to find renters for two vacant apartments!!).

Well, of course the job was open, and they really wanted me to take it. In fact I had been offered the position two years ago, but ended up turning it down due to some major commitments I had made at my current job (switching wholesalers and getting Medicare accreditation); among other things going on in my life). But I wasn't going to turn it down twice. I've worked there on and off since 2001 and love all the people. So, I will be switching jobs soon. I go in on Tuesday to take care of the paperwork. I already do the job so there's not much in the way of training to take care of. So, yay for me! This new job will leave my mornings free for gardening which suits me just fine!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder you haven't been blogging much! I hope that, once you're only working one job, we'll get to hear from you more in the blogosphere. -Jean

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello there Sylvana !
(may have many spelling mistakes this morning .. the girls got me up extra early ;-)
Thank you for stopping by my blog !
It is funny how many gardeners have been in library services . Yet another connection (cats being one as well too for a lot of us)
I worked in an international NATO library in Holland .. we lived there for 4 years.
I love that you have a smallish garden like I do .. pretty winter landscape and zone 4 to top it off !
Kingston is 5b .. I have tried the "Blue Poppy" quite a few years along with that damn Moon Flower vine ? haha .. can't stop myself some how?
Joy

Chloe m said...

Congrats on the job! Hope it's fun!

Sylvana said...

jeansgarden, yes, I have been very busy! I'm not sure how long I will be working both jobs as I need to linger a bit at my soon-to-be old job for a while to make sure training gets done for people to take over what I do -- and right now I do EVERYTHING!

GardenJoy4Me, thanks for stopping by! It does seem to be a thing about us. Maybe it is the combination of the need for quiet/peaceful time and the obsession to collect things that make us like both gardening and libraries :)

Rosey Pollen, it is nice and peaceful. Just what I need :)

Lydia said...

Yay!

Sylvana said...

Lydia, I KNOW! :)

Beth said...

Wow you are busy.
I can't wait to see your garden grow this year! Your winter pictures are so inviting I am sure the garden in full bloom will take my breath away.

Sylvana said...

Beth, thanks! I am SO looking forward to spring! Just around the corner, you know.

Unknown said...

Only a true gardener can think Spring is around the corner on January 24th! After my garden got away from me last season, I decided to devote much of it to strawberries, lettuce, tomatoes and blackberries. My homegrown green beans tasted pretty much the same as the ones I bought at Stop & Shop. Good luck with yours this year!

Sylvana said...

Karen, mmmm! BLACKBERRIES! I really have to get a bed of those going. Everyone in my family loves them and they are hard to find around here. My beans taste better than the stores, but it's all in the variety that you grow. Mine is a gourmet French filet bean - very yummy. try some new varieties to see what you like.

Lou Murray's Green World said...

Congrats on getting work. Hope you'll get back to your blog soon though. Spring really is just around the corner. I can't get your beautiful photo of all those garlic cloves out of my head, so I planted 36 garlic cloves already here in southern California.

Sylvana said...

Lou Murray, thanks on the job. What's really funny, is that as I was contacting our business affiliates to let them know of the changes that would be taking place, I have been getting job offers from them! Even if my boss didn't realize what she had, other people surely noticed!
I was so glad that garlic was so easy to grow because I love garlic!

Muhammad khabbab said...

wow fantastic. Your snow pics and echincea were awesome. And the post on making a good blog was very useful.

Sylvana said...

Muhammad, glad you liked my pics and got something out that blog post!