Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Damn Spam!!

You may notice a tightening down of security on my site. It is not the way that I would like it, but ever since I had a certain blogger visit here complaining about my aversion to security and how I would soon regret it -- in fact the day AFTER that blogger placed several comments on this blog arguing their point -- I started getting spammed like you wouldn't believe!! Now I'm not saying that this person invited them over, and I'm not ruling that out either, but it has unfortunately forced me to start using moderation. I am still refusing absolutely any kind of WV because it and I do not get along. I try to monitor this blog daily, but as I am currently over-employed, you may have to wait a few days for your comments to appear.

Since I am now forced to use this monstrosity, please help me by following one simple rule -
Make sure that your comment is clearly pertinent to the post.
I am deleting any comments that I can't tell decisively are not spam. If you are a regular commenter, I will recognize you so you can be as vague as you would like. New commenters unfortunately will have to convince me that they are not spam. If you comment and don't see it up where it should be, please email me, making sure to use [Obsessive Gardener] in the subject line to keep it from being presorted by my filter.

And no more badgering comments about spam, they can hear you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sylvana, Sorry to hear that you're being spammed (and that you're still over-employed). I must confess that I'm such a word nerd that I consider WV a guilty pleasure. I hope you get your life and your blog back soon. -Jean

Sylvana said...

JeansGarden, I have to admit that I can not feel bad about having too much work. It is really nice to finally be paying off all those garden projects :P Now if I could just find some time to order my seeds...

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Oh Sylvana, I'm sorry you've been inundated with spam. Don't worry about moderating comments. I moderate first-time commenters, and use an automatic spam filter. If we didn't use such measures, we'd never have time to be in the garden!

Jim Groble said...

I am sorry that you are under attack. It happened to me earlier in the month. I went to the Dr. Strangelove solution, moderation amd the crazy word thing. jim

Wendy said...

I have also be inunadated with spam. Some I don't even really understand as there's no link or anything to track back to. Some just say something stupid like "I found your post really useful" in broken English. I've rejected that comment probably 20 times now. It's always phrased a little differently, so I think it's a person who's typing it. Strraange.

Lynn said...

Hi Sylvania, I've been gone for quite a while also over employed!!! What is it about us gardeners that seem to just work, work, work?!! I'm trying a new strategy for summer that involves......working less, lol! I'm itching to get something planted and will be starting seeds indoors.
Too bad about that spam. Somebody is always mucking up the waters somewhere.
Good to see you're still blogging.

Sylvana said...

Curbstone, how do just moderate first-timers? Do you use a different comment tool?

Jim Groble, I just can't bring myself to do it. I have precious little time, and I know many of my readers are in the same fix - so I will use the least invasive methods that I have to to combat this problem.
But I am not against going berserker if it is what works.

Wendy, I'm glad you mentioned that because I have been wondering the same thing -- how could they be getting anything out of it if they do not leave any links, right? My theory is that since I have a visit tracker on my blog, they might be getting some kind of traffic points that way. Just a theory...

Primrozie, ah! We could start an "over-employed club", if we had the time :P
I am SO looking forward to getting in the garden. I have all those new vegetable beds to plant and my flower garden is better than ever. I even have it planned out how I will work it in-between my two jobs. Sleep? Who needs it?!