Saturday, March 20, 2010

Earliest Garden Start EVER!

First flower of 2010 (picture taken 03/14/10).

I'm still working the two jobs, but that will be ending soon - couple more weeks maybe. Then I can really get to work!

I had a 4 day weekend last week, which between that and it being in the high 60s allowed me to get some real-life gardening done! This has to be my earliest start, ever!) My bulbs were already starting to poke up so I had to clear the fall/winter left-overs out to make a clean canvas for them. My compost bin is now stuffed full!

One of my lavender survivors! - for winter protection, I mulched with straw.

Today I decided to take my seed list to Fleet Farm to see if I could find any of it there. I found nearly all of them! and I got each packet for under $1 each, so I was able to get extras - some annual flowers, herbs, and vegetables that I didn't have on my list.


Beet – Detroit Dark red
Rutabaga – American Purple Top
Salsify – Mammoth Sandwich Island
Parsnips – Hollow Crown
Pepper – Long Red Cayenne
Chamomile – German
Dill – Mammoth
Marjoram – Sweet
Fennel – Florence
Kohlrabi – Early White Vienna
White Bush Scallop Patty Pan
Cucumber – Armenian
Cucumber – Boston Pickling
Squash – Delicata
Mesclun – Spicy Mix
Endive – Green Curled Ruffec
Pak Choi – Bonsai
Radicchio

Brussel Sprouts – Long Island Improved
Chinese Cabbage – Michihli
Arugula – Roquette
Bean – Edible Soybean
Snow Peas – Melting Sugar
Carrot – Imperator
Carrot – Danvers Half Long
Carrot – Little Finger
Bean – Slenderette
Nasturtium – Dwarf Jewel Mix
Morning Glory – Picotee Blue
Passion Flower
Cosmos – Sensation Picotee
Bachelor Button – Choice Mix
Alyssum – Carpet of Snow
Zinnia – Persian Carpet
Poppy – California Orange


Almost all of them were the varieties that I was originally intending to buy, some of these items I got in multiples, and I got it all for just a little over $40! So I'm pretty happy with the haul.

I got some potting soil and a few grow trays with extra tall tops, that even included built in sliding vents, for $4 each! I planted one with the spicy mesclun mix for early greens. I had a couple older, shorter ones that I planted with peas, parsnips, pak choi, Chinese cabbage and radicchio. I will be transplanting these to the garden once they get big enough (and I get the garden straightened out).
You can see it is still full of bulbs:


My bulb holding pen is doing good. My giant alliums and blue anemones are even coming up! As soon as the ground thaws enough to break these free, I will be moving them so that I can get started on my vegetable garden. I already planted some peas, turnips, and greens in areas that were not taken up with bulbs or semi-finished compost from last fall.

I put my cheapie greenhouse together again finally. It hadn't been used since the infamous greenhouse fire of 2005. I put the planted grow trays in there. I also made a few milk jug greenhouses and made a window shelf to put them on. In these I planted tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. I've never done milk jug greenhouses before, so I hope it works. These kind of greenhouses are normally used for winter sowing, but I was planning to not buy veggie garden plants this year - so I have to get going on those nightshades!

After all, my garden insists that Spring is here!

Crocuses today. I really need to plant more crocuses!

13 comments:

Amy said...

I can feel your excitement! I was so happy to see that first sign of spring, too. It is so nice to be outside.
You got a lot of seeds, trays, etc. for the money! Sounds like you are going to be busy and having fun. :)

Kelly said...

Glad to see spring is finding you! I always need to plant more crocuses. What an impressive list of seeds - can't wait to see those pics in a little bit.

FYI - "after" pictures of my arbor are up. Thanks for watching my project unfurl. Kelly

http://lifeoutofdoors.com/2010/03/25/after-the-arbor-as-a-blank-canvas/

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Happy first flowers to you - may your garden bloom and grow big this year! Oh and your plant list looks great - yum!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got a great start and the bulb pictures are soooo cheerful! I'll be interested to hear how the different varieties work out.

Sylvana said...

Amy, I am so excited about this spring I can barely get anything else done :) I have twice as much space in my veggie garden as I did at this time last year, so I'm stoked about all the great things we will have to eat!

Kelly, Some of these vegetables are new to me - not only for growing, but for eating too! But they were things that I have always been curious about and I have the space to try.

Thanks for the "after" - I love before and afters!

Heather, I have a great feeling about this year. And I will have so many vegetables, I might just go vegetarian for the summer!

A Ellis, I'm so interested in seeing these seeds grow. It sure will be fun.

And if you love bulbs, come back in a couple of weeks - I have lots of spring bulbs in my garden!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I whine about a few frosts, I can't even imagine what it must be like to have to wait for the ground to thaw!
I'm looking forward to seeing your spring garden bust into life!

Sylvana said...

gippslandgardener, yep, those pots are still stuck pretty solid to the ground and when I try to dig the soil it is like hitting a rock. Not too much longer now though :)

bed frames said...

Everybody is excited! So excited! Spring is my favorite time of the year! I would be turning my backyard to a garden this spring. You are an inspiration!

Sylvana said...

bed frames, gardening is good for everyone. Just do it!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You got some really great deals! I hope your milk jug greenhouses are working. I've just used them for wintersowing, but I think I may have read about people starting edibles in them too.
Glad you're seeing Spring flowers. I love Crocuses and need to plant more too.

Sylvana said...

Catherine, nothing has sprouted in the milk jugs yet, but there have been a few sproutings in my other covered planters.
But soon :D

Bethany said...

Looks like you are ready to go for spring! I enjoy picking out my seeds for the coming spring almost as much as I enjoy planting them! Have fun and I hope the weather continues to cooperate!

Sylvana said...

Bethany, I have fun planning too! I spent a lot of the winter planning what I would order, and then I still got a late start with that - I just placed my plant order last night! Just as well. I am still not sure where I will put the blackberries and blueberries that I ordered!