Saturday, March 20, 2010

Earliest Garden Start EVER!

First flower of 2010 (picture taken 03/14/10).

I'm still working the two jobs, but that will be ending soon - couple more weeks maybe. Then I can really get to work!

I had a 4 day weekend last week, which between that and it being in the high 60s allowed me to get some real-life gardening done! This has to be my earliest start, ever!) My bulbs were already starting to poke up so I had to clear the fall/winter left-overs out to make a clean canvas for them. My compost bin is now stuffed full!

One of my lavender survivors! - for winter protection, I mulched with straw.

Today I decided to take my seed list to Fleet Farm to see if I could find any of it there. I found nearly all of them! and I got each packet for under $1 each, so I was able to get extras - some annual flowers, herbs, and vegetables that I didn't have on my list.


Beet – Detroit Dark red
Rutabaga – American Purple Top
Salsify – Mammoth Sandwich Island
Parsnips – Hollow Crown
Pepper – Long Red Cayenne
Chamomile – German
Dill – Mammoth
Marjoram – Sweet
Fennel – Florence
Kohlrabi – Early White Vienna
White Bush Scallop Patty Pan
Cucumber – Armenian
Cucumber – Boston Pickling
Squash – Delicata
Mesclun – Spicy Mix
Endive – Green Curled Ruffec
Pak Choi – Bonsai
Radicchio

Brussel Sprouts – Long Island Improved
Chinese Cabbage – Michihli
Arugula – Roquette
Bean – Edible Soybean
Snow Peas – Melting Sugar
Carrot – Imperator
Carrot – Danvers Half Long
Carrot – Little Finger
Bean – Slenderette
Nasturtium – Dwarf Jewel Mix
Morning Glory – Picotee Blue
Passion Flower
Cosmos – Sensation Picotee
Bachelor Button – Choice Mix
Alyssum – Carpet of Snow
Zinnia – Persian Carpet
Poppy – California Orange


Almost all of them were the varieties that I was originally intending to buy, some of these items I got in multiples, and I got it all for just a little over $40! So I'm pretty happy with the haul.

I got some potting soil and a few grow trays with extra tall tops, that even included built in sliding vents, for $4 each! I planted one with the spicy mesclun mix for early greens. I had a couple older, shorter ones that I planted with peas, parsnips, pak choi, Chinese cabbage and radicchio. I will be transplanting these to the garden once they get big enough (and I get the garden straightened out).
You can see it is still full of bulbs:


My bulb holding pen is doing good. My giant alliums and blue anemones are even coming up! As soon as the ground thaws enough to break these free, I will be moving them so that I can get started on my vegetable garden. I already planted some peas, turnips, and greens in areas that were not taken up with bulbs or semi-finished compost from last fall.

I put my cheapie greenhouse together again finally. It hadn't been used since the infamous greenhouse fire of 2005. I put the planted grow trays in there. I also made a few milk jug greenhouses and made a window shelf to put them on. In these I planted tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. I've never done milk jug greenhouses before, so I hope it works. These kind of greenhouses are normally used for winter sowing, but I was planning to not buy veggie garden plants this year - so I have to get going on those nightshades!

After all, my garden insists that Spring is here!

Crocuses today. I really need to plant more crocuses!

13 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I can feel your excitement! I was so happy to see that first sign of spring, too. It is so nice to be outside.
You got a lot of seeds, trays, etc. for the money! Sounds like you are going to be busy and having fun. :)

3/24/2010 6:52 AM  
Blogger Kelly@LifeOutOfDoors said...

Glad to see spring is finding you! I always need to plant more crocuses. What an impressive list of seeds - can't wait to see those pics in a little bit.

FYI - "after" pictures of my arbor are up. Thanks for watching my project unfurl. Kelly

http://lifeoutofdoors.com/2010/03/25/after-the-arbor-as-a-blank-canvas/

3/25/2010 12:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Happy first flowers to you - may your garden bloom and grow big this year! Oh and your plant list looks great - yum!

3/25/2010 4:23 PM  
Blogger A Ellis said...

Sounds like you got a great start and the bulb pictures are soooo cheerful! I'll be interested to hear how the different varieties work out.

3/25/2010 11:00 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Amy, I am so excited about this spring I can barely get anything else done :) I have twice as much space in my veggie garden as I did at this time last year, so I'm stoked about all the great things we will have to eat!

Kelly, Some of these vegetables are new to me - not only for growing, but for eating too! But they were things that I have always been curious about and I have the space to try.

Thanks for the "after" - I love before and afters!

Heather, I have a great feeling about this year. And I will have so many vegetables, I might just go vegetarian for the summer!

A Ellis, I'm so interested in seeing these seeds grow. It sure will be fun.

And if you love bulbs, come back in a couple of weeks - I have lots of spring bulbs in my garden!

3/25/2010 11:33 PM  
OpenID gippslandgardener said...

Wow, I whine about a few frosts, I can't even imagine what it must be like to have to wait for the ground to thaw!
I'm looking forward to seeing your spring garden bust into life!

3/26/2010 6:21 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

gippslandgardener, yep, those pots are still stuck pretty solid to the ground and when I try to dig the soil it is like hitting a rock. Not too much longer now though :)

3/28/2010 12:52 AM  
Anonymous bed frames said...

Everybody is excited! So excited! Spring is my favorite time of the year! I would be turning my backyard to a garden this spring. You are an inspiration!

3/28/2010 10:51 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

bed frames, gardening is good for everyone. Just do it!

3/29/2010 11:36 AM  
Blogger Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You got some really great deals! I hope your milk jug greenhouses are working. I've just used them for wintersowing, but I think I may have read about people starting edibles in them too.
Glad you're seeing Spring flowers. I love Crocuses and need to plant more too.

3/30/2010 9:16 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Catherine, nothing has sprouted in the milk jugs yet, but there have been a few sproutings in my other covered planters.
But soon :D

3/30/2010 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Bethany said...

Looks like you are ready to go for spring! I enjoy picking out my seeds for the coming spring almost as much as I enjoy planting them! Have fun and I hope the weather continues to cooperate!

4/04/2010 10:37 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Bethany, I have fun planning too! I spent a lot of the winter planning what I would order, and then I still got a late start with that - I just placed my plant order last night! Just as well. I am still not sure where I will put the blackberries and blueberries that I ordered!

4/04/2010 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home