Friday, March 12, 2010

Near Spring Update

I am thrilled to announce that all my lavender made it through the winter with flying colors. Now, barring any unforeseen disaster, I will have four lavender plants to enjoy this summer! I'm not sure if it was the variety that I picked or the mild winter that we had or maybe that I planted them in sand - but I have LAVENDER!!

Also, some spinach that I planted late last fall for a wishful late harvest that never fruited are still alive and taking off right now! I might have to try that again this year. I might have spinach to harvest by the end of March.

My brussell sprouts are still alive, too! I never got a harvest off them last year, so maybe this spring I can coax some sprouts out of them.

My garlic is sprouting. I still have a good stash from my last harvest, enough to get me through to this bunch's harvest for sure.

The rutabaga that I didn't get harvested in the fall is still growing. I wonder if it will still taste good...

And, of course, there are hundreds and hundreds of bulbs peaking through the earth right now! I CAN'T WAIT!! This spring is going to be awesome!

11 comments:

Jim Groble said...

What a great suprise.Great post. jim

Sylvana said...

Jim, I found that at least half of my delphinium made it and are already sprouted and ready to go. And a couple of other things I had been worried about made it too - like my sea thrift.

Beth said...

Spring always brings such nice surprises! I'll have to go back and read about your lavender. I brought mine in this last year. It died. . . I think that was my fault though. Never got any flowers on it.

Sylvana said...

Beth, I've only tried lavender a couple of other times and it always died. This time I tried a different variety that was said to be the cold-hardiest: Lavandula augustifolia - "Lavance Purple". But I also learned that cold wasn't the main danger for lavender - moisture is. You've got to keep them drained and dry. I planted mine in sand last year and it seems to have helped as not only did these cold hardy trials survive, but my last minute Hidcote Blue buy even survived with no die-back! I'm looking forward to some big lavender this year :)

Lou Murray's Green World said...

Hi Sylvana, I just stopped by to see how your garden is doing. It looks like you're getting spammed by Anonymous with that post about shoes. That has nothing to do with gardening. Anyway, I thought that I had found a recipe on your site for pumpkin coconut soup, but I don't see it now. I modified it to be curried butternut soup with goats milk and put my version on my blog. I wanted to give you credit for the original recipe, but now I don't know where I got it. Another one of life's mysteries.

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

I'm so glad your lavender survived... every garden should have a bit of lavender in it.

Lydia said...

Congratulations from the land of orchids blooming outside.

Sylvana said...

Lou, thanks for thinking of me, but that's not my recipe, however now I will be looking for it! Sounds delicious!!

Dirty Girl Gardening, that's what I always thought. And to have all four of them survive after years of failure is pretty sweet.

Lydia, thanks! I love the look of orchids, but they seem to require too much care for my methods - plant and ignore. thank goodness that there are people like you that keep them going for the rest of us to enjoy :)

Anonymous said...

We had a pretty mild winter this year in WI, but I have had lavendar 'Munstead' survive more than a year or two. Scree type drainage is key, no spring melt standing water is important. When you cut it back, etc. is important as well.

Sylvana said...

Anonymous, when are you supposed to cut it back? I think I made the mistake of cutting it back to early one year and killed the plant.

Anonymous said...

your awsome content have forced me to to leave some positive feedback Agribon row covers