Sunday, May 15, 2011

GBBD May 2011

My first Garden Blogger Bloom Day post of 2011, and things are looking pretty good out in the garden this spring.

Bastogne's Parrot are doing well. I did try to get more, but they didn't look like these at all, they were just red without much ruffling.

Bleu Amiable and Sweetheart tulips are a great combination.

These white tipped tulips in with the Prinses Irene's came in a mixed pack. They look like Private Eyes, so I'm going with that.

Sweetheart tulips are definitely one of my favorite tulips.

These are another of my favorite: Gavota. They are very hardy and multiply.

Abba are a rich red (which you can't see very well in this picture since the light is shining through the back). They look like roses.

Here are my box bulbs in full bloom. I am planning to get some of these planted later today.

Brunnera "Kings Randsom" - a non-tulip is blooming!

Another non-tulip, Mount Hood Daffodils.

Sunrise tulips give you the most bang for your buck; they are one of the first to bloom and one of the last to die back. Plus, they are just so beautiful and change their look as they age: creamy yellow with just a slight tipping of red, to fully blushed with a more distinct red tipping.

Tulip holding pen; I plant the tulips here until spring when I can have a better idea where they should go in the garden.

Tubergen's Gem is multiplying!
Weber's Parrot... not quite what I had in mind. What do you think?

Wide shot of the garden. Lots of tulips, and always more to come :)

And an overhead shot from my upstairs window. Spring is such a great time of year!

15 comments:

wilderness said...

Love the areal shot. I can't get tulips to bloom more than 2 years. What is your secret? What zone are you in?

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Sylvana, There are tulips in posts all over the blogasphere, and every one I read is better than the last. Yours are just gorgeous! The view from your bedroom window is amazing. Happy GBBD. P. x

Christine @ The Gardening Blog said...

What beautiful Tulips!! Happy GBBD :)

Marcia said...

You have such a wide assortment of tulips. I can't grow them - favorite food of deer.

By the way have you visited your twin blog? http://www.obsessiveneuroticgardener.com/
I thought I was going there when I clicked on your link on May Dreams Garden for Bloom Day.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way of discovering other peoples gardens! Your tulips are fabulous, especially the parrots. Mine were over what seems ages ago. Thank you for sharing your garden. Ronnie/"Hurting towards 60 and Beyond"

Sylvana said...

Wilderness, I am in zone 4 (5 for just a few things). Some tulips will not come back year after year, but most will if the conditions are right. One of the main reason tulips don't come back is that the climate does not have a sufficient cold period. One technique to getting perennial tulips is planting deep - more than the recommended 6 inches. Clip all flower stems off as soon as the flower is spent, but always leave the leaves! Feed them bone meal after the flowers are spent to help them bulk up.
If you follow these steps, your area gets cold enough, and you don't have a vole problem then you should be able to get your tulips to perennialize.

Pam and Christine, thanks! Tulips are my favorite!

Marcia, glad I don't have to worry about deer - just drunks and people who think it's OK to pick tulips that aren't theirs. I have been to obsessiveneuroticgardener before. Glad you accidentally found mine!

Ronniejt28, we're all so glad that Carol started GBBD!

greggo said...

Nice spring tulips. Long gone here in Kansas.

The Sage Butterfly said...

I love your overhead shot...I would enjoy walking that path and looking at all your plants. All of your tulips are lovely...so many varieties. Happy GBBD Day!

Sissy said...

Love the view from your window!

wilderness said...

I was beginning to wonder if anyone gardened in zone 4. My tulips have leaves but not buds each year. It certainly gets cold enough here on the Mountain in the winter. Thanks for the advice.

Do you also vegetable garden? That is my primary interest in gardening but am slowly getting the landscaping done here with flower beds.

Larry said...

What an amazing collection of bulbs you have... they are lovely! L

Byddi - We didn't come here for the grass... said...

I wish it was as easy to grow such great tulips here in California but the winter does get cold enough and I have to put the bulbs in my fridge for 8 weeks! Fine if you have the room for that and food!

Yours look gorgeous.

scottweberpdx said...

So many lovely tulips! I love that shot from your upstairs window...to be able to look out and see that every day...nice!

Gabrielle@flowerbulbcrazy said...

it looks like the votes are in on loving the window shot of your park like garden! Nice view. love the paths! and of course the great selection of tulips! Thanks!

Lisa said...

Wow! Beautiful flower garden. I love those tulips.

Lisa from Acoustic Guitar Software