Sunday, June 19, 2011

In the Vegetable Garden

This weekend in the vegetable garden:
  • I got all 30 of my tomato plants in the ground.
  • I got all 16 of my pepper plants in the ground.
  • I got 4 broccoli plants planted.
  • I planted last years unused shallots - about 30 all together.
  • I got most of my squash/melon seeds planted.
  • I got some bean seeds started.
  • I started 3 trays of basil.
  • I got half my carrots planted.
  • I was harvesting spinach, cilantro and arugula.
  • I was giving out stray garlic plants that missed last fall's harvest.
  • I weeded the blackberry and raspberry beds.
  • I set up a chicken wire and marigold barrier around my peppers - eat that rabbits!!

This week in the vegetable garden:
  • I will finish planting the carrots.
  • I will pot up the eggplant.
  • I will plant sunflowers.
  • I will plant dill.
  • I will pot up the fennel.
  • I will start the rest of the beans.
  • I will harvest some leeks.
  • I will finish caging the tomatoes.
  • I will discover there were 1/2 dozen other seed packets I had completely forgotten about...

6 comments:

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Sylvana, Wow! I guess 'obsessive gardener' is indeed a good title for your blog. I am truly impressed. P. x

Michael Moore said...

Sylvana,

Do you have to do anything special with your blackberries over winter?

I'm zone 4 too (Minneapolis area) and a fellow gardener expressed great surprise and skepticism when I said I had planted blackberries this year. They said they weren't zone 4 hardy.

If it helps any, I have the variety Illini Hardy.

gabrielle@flowerbulbcrazy.com said...

30 tomatoes plants! Wow- I thought our 8 was too many. What do you do with all of them? I planning on canning some, giving some and eating some.

Byddi - We didn't come here for the grass... said...

Good work! Lists are the way forward...

Sylvana said...

Pam's English Garden, due to some unexpected schedule changes (as in my family rescheduling my time for me and me suddenly having the urge to learn how to make French bread), I was only able to pot up the eggplant. BUT the rest will get done THIS week. I swear!

Michael Moore, well, even though I know that they usually grow along tree lines to get sun while also getting protection, I chose to grow mine right out in the middle of the yard (because that is where I had room). This is only their second year with me and they are blooming! I haven't done anything special with them.

There are blackberries that are hardy and even grow wild in zone 3. I know because I used to pick buckets full of them in the Nicolet Forest as a kid. Not black raspberries either, REAL blackberries!

Gabrielle, I do can the tomatoes and salsa, and I make LOTS of fresh salsa for friends. I can enough tomatoes to get us through until the tomatoes are ripening again the next year. So the only tomatoes I have to buy are tomatoes for slicing during the winter. They are so easy to can, why not?

Byddi, lists definitely keep me on track, ... most of the time. But plans should be changeable, and French bread is awesome!

Lynn said...

Just checking in to see what you are up to. I got about 1/2 in that I wanted, but life happens and there you are ~ stuff has to get done ;)

Plus I have a new Grandbaby (Elizabeth) and her brother is adjusting so Grammy to the rescue! I made Elderflower champagne a couple weeks ago. My new favorite trees: Elder and Hawthorn. Awesome medicinals. I'll have to post on them soon. When I have more time.