Monday, October 10, 2005

The Glory of Bagging Mowers


This spring I got a new mower since SSB insisted that the old one was broke. I didn't argue too much since I had been dying to get a bagging mower to replace that mulching piece of...Well, let's just say that I really don't like having to clean up after a mower!

This picture shows exactly why I was so hot to get a bagger- the green, grassy area used to be just as leaf covered as the other areas, until I mowed that is! NO MORE RAKING!!! I thought that it couldn't get any better than just not having to rake up the grass after mowing, but the added bonus of no leaf raking has me forever sold on bagging mowers!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

And put all that lovely grass and leaf matter on your compost pile, and come spring you will have black gold to add to your borders!

Lovely, lovely stuff! and pre-shredded - no additional work!

OldRoses said...

My mulching mower converts to a bagging mower. I mulch all spring and summer and bag in the fall. I agree with Jenn. I also put the contents of the bag directly on my flower beds. I call it "composting in situ". It works really well for beds where I grow heavy feeders like pumpkins.

Sylvana said...

Jenn, I have been dumping the bag out onto an area that I have been meaning to turn into a flower bed for a while. Now several smaller beds will be connected into one big bed! I'm going to fill it with some striped grass that I have and tall asters.

OldRoses, our bagger is a mulcher too, but I just bag it up. I already have a serious problem with thatch, so I have been fertilizing and seeding this year to try and combat it.

jac said...

That is a lot of fallen leaves ? Life is moving away from them !!!