Sunday, May 04, 2008

New Camera

I had a very good shopping day yesterday. I needed a new camera for the up-coming trip. We have been looking at different cameras for well over two years and just weren't finding one that fit us. One trip to the National Camera Exchange got me the camera I was looking for: Coolpix P50.


I love the soft effect it has. I'm not one for super-sharp, HD-like pictures. I like more a more artistic looks. my husband is a fan of it too.

I could never get close-ups like the one here with my other camera, no matter how many settings I played with. This camera is far faster than my other camera too -- and it takes video, long video; with sound. And it's good video. I'm so excited.


I'm also very excited about the project that I finished today. The back of my garden is very exposed in the spring. I grow sunflowers in that area to get screening, but it isn't effective until late summer. I also had a grape vine that really did not have anything proper to climb. It has been climbing all over my lilac for the last ten years.

So I decided to take care of both problems with one solution - a trellis-fence. We got some large branches from the compost center. I installed them like fence posts, tore the grape vines from the lilac, wound them around the posts and tied them on with some rope. What a difference it makes. And once it leafs out, it will be awesome. Now I won't have to wait until late summer for decent screening.

6 comments:

Matron said...

Hope you have a great time with your new camera. I wish I had one with a close-up macro lens.

Gail said...

I love your trellis, I make them, too from tree limbs and even honeysuckle bush, very invasive here so we have to cut it down. They fit your setting and will look lovely with vines and perennials in front of it,

Gail
clay and limestone

Lynn said...

I need a new camera too. We have too much cash going in to our kitchen right now to afford a camera so it has to wait.

Great idea for the fence. Natural solutions are the best.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

You can not go wrong with a Nikon camera! I love mine.

SierraBella said...

Nice!
I have tons of Manzanita branches I'd love to use, but they start cracking quickly.
Keep posting those pictures!

Sylvana said...

Matron, I have been loving this camera!

Gail, the grape vine already has buds ready to burst open. And this trellis looks very good from the other side.

Primrozie, we have been putting the camera update for a couple years -- when I came back from Scotland last time I had all but ruined our previous camera. Hope this one holds up at least as well if not better!

IG Woman, We had a Nikon 35mm that we really liked because of the effects that it would lend to pictures. I was so happy to see that this one did the same.

Sierrabella, the other trellis I did a few years ago is still standing, so I figured, why not build another. I have no idea what tree the branches for this trellis came from but the other trellis was from our big maple.