Friday, May 02, 2008

Spring-A-Ling

I have been actually gardening the last few weekends -- and during the week too. I've been trying to get my garden ready for viewing as next week will be the start of my tulip season. My son and I planted over 700 bulbs last fall; adding to the army of bulbs I had already! It should be quite a show.

I have been adding more brick edging to the main garden bed. I have gotten lots of compliments on it, so it must be a good thing. I love the way the brick gets moss on it. I looks like it has been there forever!

I decided that I would put in a floor in the gazebo with left over patio block, brick chunks, and stones that we gathered from here and there. We had a real great find a few years ago when I was digging next to our shed -- an old millstone. I put the pieces together and made that the centerpiece of the gazebo floor. I'm going to have to do this floor cheap, as our money is currently being funneled into the trip fund. It will definitely be a project that I will have to re-do in a few years, but I really want it done now.

I had a surprise in my vegetable garden. I was not able to grow my leeks last year to size; and was just going to give up on trying to grow them altogether. This spring I saw that they were still growing! Hopefully I can get a harvest out of them this year. I'm going to plant another row, so that if this works, every year I will have leeks. I love leeks!

And I have garlic growing! I planted some really late last year. I just bought some nice garlic from the grocery store and planted. It is growing really well, so I should have lots of garlic this year -- now I just have to figure out how to store it properly.

I would have posted pictures, but after waiting a half hour to get my pictures off my camera, I could not find the pictures I took of the garden anywhere. I'm starting to suspect there are forces trying to keep me from blogging!

No comments: