Saturday, June 21, 2008

Peony & Clematis

I forgot what these two peony are (the one pictured above and the one below are two different varieties), but I thought one was supposed to be Sarah Bernhardt -- neither look very pink to me, they are more wine color.

But still very beautiful. I have decided that I need more peony because there's not much else blooming in my garden this time of year, and they just pack such a punch, much like tulips.

The gazebo is starting to come together. Remember last year I planted clematis to climb the legs of the gazebo? It was worth it. All the clematis made it and have almost climbed to the top of their legs.

Comtesse de Bouchard was a spur of the moment choice that is really proving to be wonderful fate. I am in love!

7 comments:

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Sylvana!
Those are gorgeous peonies! They are just now blooming up your way? Ours have been done for a few weeks now, but last weekend we put in 7 new ones (got a super price of $4.99 each for big healthy plants), including another 'Sarah Bernhardt,' one 'Duchess de Nemours,' and twp 'Felix Crousse,' and three 'Karl Rosenfeld' ... gonna be a great show next year round here!

Your gazebo looks great! I wish we had better luck with clematis, we've tried several times and have just given up. They hate us, lol.

Sylvana said...

Iowa VG, I wish I knew what kind of peony mine are. Can't wait to see yours!

The clematis can be tricky. They like cool feet and lots of sun. I grow plants around the base of them to keep the ground cool.

Lynn said...

I made a mistake years back, by moving my peony. It never quite did as well as before I moved it. Aren't the colors gorgeous?

Sky said...

i want some peonies, too! :)

Sylvana said...

Primrozie, some peony are touchy, most aren't. And I think in some zones they are fussier than others. The ones pictured here are about 3 or 4 years old. I have another that is 7 and still hasn't bloomed!

Sky, welcome to my blog! Peony should grow fine in your area. They are beautiful, aren't they?

apples said...

I am so wishing I didn't live in a city right...

Sylvana said...

Hi Apples, sorry it took me so long to reply - I was getting the details on my trip overseas taken care of at that time.

I live in a small city on big lot. That is the main reason I bought this house. The other reason was that it was dirt cheap!