Friday, July 29, 2005

Now You See Em, Now You Don't!

A while back I was talking about using tomato cages to contain plants. They are cheap and easy to store (although I leave mine out all year round- it helps me know where my plants are, plus I don't have to worry about getting them into the garden on time the following year). The problem as you can see is that they aren't very attractive and they are very noticeable. So what I do is paint them black.

Here you can see that they are far less noticeable and they actually don't even look that bad. Oh, and you can see my cute, crazy terrier in the background. AWE! Ain't he adorable?!

This is a really good cheap way to contain plants that do not get too heavy. I use these around all my delphiniums and around my hardy hibiscus. If your plants do get too heavy, you can always prop these up with some heavy duty garden stakes.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Yay! for terriers!

I've a soft spot for the small crazies myself. See?
Bailey, on the left, is a rat terrier/chihuahua mix. Such a nut!

Sylvana said...

Jenn- Awe, adorable!

SCBnymph- I use Rustoleum too!

OldRoses said...

Why black? Why not green? Wouldn't that blend in better? And doesn't black get really hot in the sun?

Sylvana said...

I chose black because it recedes better, plus it looks like wrought iron, if only ever so slightly. I LOVE wrought iron.

Sandy said...

Smarty pants!

Sylvana said...

Sandy, :)