Monday, October 05, 2009

Barter Harvest

I don't have an apple tree, but I do know people with them and I know one that owns an orchard and loves grape jam and pickled beets. And I have that to spare. So what do you get for a couple jars of jam and a jar of pickled beets? Two bushels of apples; quite a bargain barter!
He asked me what I wanted, I told him whatever would be good for applesauce. I got one bag of Sweet Sixteen (very sweet), 2 bags Cortland (very tangy and crisp), 1 bag Macks (very firm), 1 bag Honey Crisp (set those aside for fresh eating), 1 bag Chestnut Crab (very good, sweet, crisp apples - just the right size for a quick snack. Those I saved too), 1 bag Connell (good all around apple), and 2 mystery mixes.

I looked up a bunch of applesauce recipes and they all said that you needed a food mill. I didn't have a food mill, and wasn't going to be able to get one at 8pm on a Sunday night, so I winged it, as usual. I thought I might be able to press the cooked apples through my steamer basket, but then decided that I would just peel the apples instead and use an immersion blender. Worked perfect, except that peeling two bushels of apples is a pain in the butt!

Here's a tip to keeping the apples from browning while you're peeling all those apples: add some crushed vitamin C tablets to a bowl of water to keep the cut pieces in. The ascorbic acid in the C keeps the apples from browning.

The recipe is easy, just cored peeled apples, some water, and if desired: lemon juice, sugar and spices. Apples are high acid, so water bath canning is fine. The lemon juice option is just to maintain color. Some batches I sweetened, others I left plain. I used cinnamon and ginger for spices and dark brown sugar for sweetening.

My son assured me that these will not be around longer than a month. I'd better get more apples.

BTW: the really dark jars are pickled beets.

7 comments:

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Lucky you. I love homemade apple sauce from good orchard apples. I'm too far in LA to know of an orchard. Maybe I should start asking around. I do recall how much I love really good applesauce.

Sylvana said...

Mary Delle, canning applesauce would be somewhat expensive if I had to purchase the apples. When I visit places and notice people using apple trees in landscaping I'll ask if they use the apples. If they don't I ask if I can come back in the fall to pick. And for applesauce, they don't have to be perfect apples, so most apples will do.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Your son has good taste! I wish I could help to consume this treasure! I found your blog on Blotanical. Happy gardening and blogging to you!

Wendy said...

beautiful color!

Sylvana said...

Tatyana, good to see that people are finding me on Blotanical. The applesauce was very good

Wendy, I was admiring the color myself.

Nutty Gnome said...

Wow, that looks like a great batch of apple sauce.
Canning isn't really that popular here in the UK - I suspect we've lost the skill of doing it - or, in my case, never had the skill!

I wandered into here from elsewhere(but I've lost track of where I started!)and I've had a lovely time reading all your posts. Thank you for a great blog :)

Sylvana said...

Nutty Gnome, I thought with all the allotment growers there that there'd be a big canning crowd. I have to say that canning isn't popular in most of the US either. Both my parents canned, so I was already familiar with it.