Sunday, October 04, 2009

Mullein Harvest 2009

I grow mullein in my garden for a few reasons: I never have to plant it, the birds love it, it is pretty, and it makes a fantastic decongestant!

You can see how I use it in the garden here.

And you can see how I use it in my kitchen here.

To dry the leaves, I usually just clean them with either a little water or brush them off with a soft brush (like a paint brush) and then lay them on baking racks to dry for a couple of weeks. The results have been good, but I recently tried a drying method that works even better and faster. I just got some cheap thread, strung them up and hung the string of it in my kitchen.


I left a few mullein growing around the garden here and there just for picking off the leaves throughout the summer. I pick all but a few in the center to keep the plant alive so it can continue to produce leaves. Here is my harvest so far this year, dried and packed for storage:

Last year I had filled that big jar in the back, and it was gone before March. This just might get us through the winter this year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosey Pollen said...

I have to tell you that I harvested some Mullein, thanks to you! I am hoping we don't have a bad cold and flu season. Do you mix it with any thing else when you make tea? Or just drink it straight?
Thanks
Rosey

10/05/2009 9:35 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Rosey Pollen, it tastes and works great on its own, but you can add a little creeping charlie as it also is a decongestant. Just be sure to use a filter (I use a paper coffee filter) when you brew the tea. I like to add a little local honey as it boosts the immune system and is yummy.

10/05/2009 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home