Thursday, October 08, 2009

New Approach to Bulbs - Trial 2

I have been planting spring bulbs every year for years, and it has gotten to the point that I spend more time replanting bulbs I accidentally dig up trying to plant new bulbs than I spend actually planting the new bulbs! Also, I can't really tell where I need bulbs and what colors I need where.
Last year I devised a plan to have my bulbs planted yet portable so that I could place them in the garden in the spring when I would be able to actually see where they should go. I gathered all the perennial pots that I had saved (and even got a few from my friends) and planted a big cheap mixed bulb pack in the pots, secured those in a little loose compost and covered with leaves. The bulbs did just fine and I was able to group the bulbs and plant them where I needed them in the spring.

It worked so well, in fact, that I decided to try it again this year. I already planted the area I used last year with perennials, so I used my vegetable garden this year - I'm not going to be using it until after I can get these bulbs out of the ground anyway. I put them in pots rather than planting them directly in the garden and digging them out to transplant because I tend to do a lot of damage digging bulbs and I want these blooming next spring. I will be trying a straight planting for the purpose of transplanting with some smaller bulbs that don't need to be planted so deep.

Last year I planted one bulb per pot since I didn't know what each bulb would be, since it was a mixed pack, and I wanted to be able to group the like bulbs together. This year I used specific varieties and planted 2-4 per pot.

So far this year I have purchased 486 bulbs - I have about a third of them now planted -- and there most likely will be more to come, they just follow me home :)

12 Comments:

Blogger Bay Area Tendrils Garden Travel said...

Very ambitious! Can't wait to see your photos next Spring, Sylvana!! Cheers, Alice
p.s. found you on Blotanical :~D

10/08/2009 10:26 AM  
Blogger Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

This is a FANTASTIC idea! Love it! Can't wait to see them all in bloom next year. -Jackie

10/08/2009 2:05 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Bay Area Tendrils Garden Travel, that's a nice way of putting it, my husband just says I'm crazy ;)

Ellie Mae's Cottage, I was so glad that it worked. I still have room for bulbs, it's seeing the invisible that is the problem!

10/08/2009 8:48 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

really good idea! I've been afraid of buying those multipacks as well in case I don't like the quantity of certain colors. You have a good idea. Of course, patience is a virtue here though!

10/08/2009 9:04 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Wendy, planting bulbs always requires patience, but the reward is so worth it!

10/08/2009 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I plant a lot of forced pots of bulbs that I have purchased over the winter and have saved, in the spring. It is so much easier when you can actually see where the bulbs are. I love your idea of planting all your bulbs that way, it seems everytime you find what you think is a great spot, you thought the same thing last year and there is already bulbs there. Looking forward to seein your pictures in the spring.

10/09/2009 7:01 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove, "it seems everytime you find what you think is a great spot, you thought the same thing last year and there is already bulbs there" YOU'VE GOT IT!! And every spring I still see huge empty swaths, so why don't I see those as spots to plant in the fall?

10/09/2009 8:53 AM  
Blogger Scott & Liz said...

Sylvana, Awsome idea. Forcing bulbs is something I do miss living down here..but the winters...not so much. Followed you here from Blotanical. i'm diggin' your blog.
Scott

10/09/2009 10:13 AM  
Blogger Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

What a fantastic idea. Very tempting to try, and would make great gifts for fellow gardeners come springtime. :) Rebecca

10/09/2009 12:21 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Scott & Liz, I like winter. If I lived somewhere it was nice out all year round I would burn myself out gardening. Besides - HOT COCOA!

Rebecca, giving them as gifts is a very good idea!

10/10/2009 1:12 AM  
Blogger Sue Swift said...

Wow - you're going to have a great display next spring. Found you through Blotanical - hopw we see you "around" there a lot!

10/10/2009 11:16 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Sue Swift, Spring is always my most anticipated time of year. I think it also when my garden looks best.

Blotanical has been great for finding new garden blogs!

10/10/2009 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home