Thursday, October 08, 2009

New Approach to Bulbs - Trial 2

I have been planting spring bulbs every year for years, and it has gotten to the point that I spend more time replanting bulbs I accidentally dig up trying to plant new bulbs than I spend actually planting the new bulbs! Also, I can't really tell where I need bulbs and what colors I need where.
Last year I devised a plan to have my bulbs planted yet portable so that I could place them in the garden in the spring when I would be able to actually see where they should go. I gathered all the perennial pots that I had saved (and even got a few from my friends) and planted a big cheap mixed bulb pack in the pots, secured those in a little loose compost and covered with leaves. The bulbs did just fine and I was able to group the bulbs and plant them where I needed them in the spring.

It worked so well, in fact, that I decided to try it again this year. I already planted the area I used last year with perennials, so I used my vegetable garden this year - I'm not going to be using it until after I can get these bulbs out of the ground anyway. I put them in pots rather than planting them directly in the garden and digging them out to transplant because I tend to do a lot of damage digging bulbs and I want these blooming next spring. I will be trying a straight planting for the purpose of transplanting with some smaller bulbs that don't need to be planted so deep.

Last year I planted one bulb per pot since I didn't know what each bulb would be, since it was a mixed pack, and I wanted to be able to group the like bulbs together. This year I used specific varieties and planted 2-4 per pot.

So far this year I have purchased 486 bulbs - I have about a third of them now planted -- and there most likely will be more to come, they just follow me home :)

12 comments:

Bay Area Tendrils said...

Very ambitious! Can't wait to see your photos next Spring, Sylvana!! Cheers, Alice
p.s. found you on Blotanical :~D

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

This is a FANTASTIC idea! Love it! Can't wait to see them all in bloom next year. -Jackie

Sylvana said...

Bay Area Tendrils Garden Travel, that's a nice way of putting it, my husband just says I'm crazy ;)

Ellie Mae's Cottage, I was so glad that it worked. I still have room for bulbs, it's seeing the invisible that is the problem!

Wendy said...

really good idea! I've been afraid of buying those multipacks as well in case I don't like the quantity of certain colors. You have a good idea. Of course, patience is a virtue here though!

Sylvana said...

Wendy, planting bulbs always requires patience, but the reward is so worth it!

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I plant a lot of forced pots of bulbs that I have purchased over the winter and have saved, in the spring. It is so much easier when you can actually see where the bulbs are. I love your idea of planting all your bulbs that way, it seems everytime you find what you think is a great spot, you thought the same thing last year and there is already bulbs there. Looking forward to seein your pictures in the spring.

Sylvana said...

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove, "it seems everytime you find what you think is a great spot, you thought the same thing last year and there is already bulbs there" YOU'VE GOT IT!! And every spring I still see huge empty swaths, so why don't I see those as spots to plant in the fall?

Scott & Liz said...

Sylvana, Awsome idea. Forcing bulbs is something I do miss living down here..but the winters...not so much. Followed you here from Blotanical. i'm diggin' your blog.
Scott

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

What a fantastic idea. Very tempting to try, and would make great gifts for fellow gardeners come springtime. :) Rebecca

Sylvana said...

Scott & Liz, I like winter. If I lived somewhere it was nice out all year round I would burn myself out gardening. Besides - HOT COCOA!

Rebecca, giving them as gifts is a very good idea!

Sue Swift said...

Wow - you're going to have a great display next spring. Found you through Blotanical - hopw we see you "around" there a lot!

Sylvana said...

Sue Swift, Spring is always my most anticipated time of year. I think it also when my garden looks best.

Blotanical has been great for finding new garden blogs!