Monday, October 12, 2009

My Garden at the Moment...

Of course. Because I still have so much left to do in the garden.

Here's What I Still Have To Plant:
About 2/3 of these bulbs/plants plus three 14ct packages of Princess Irene tulips (which I bought a month ago and completely forgot!), 24ct bag of Mr. Fokker anemones, a 24ct bag of Azureum muscari and a 50ct bag of Lilac Wonder tulips.
And all of these 19 perennials, which I picked up at Home Depot when I was playing hooky Friday to... stop looking at me that way! It was fate! I got there just as they finished re-pricing all their perennials to 99cents!! I could not pass that up. I was practically stealing them. And they had some great plants, not just all Autumn Joy sedum and no-name hostas. I got: 2 Twilight hostas, a Christmas hosta, 2 Silver Mound, a Frances William hosta, 4 Can Can heucheras, 2 May Night salvia, a Snow Hill salvia, 2 Sunny Border Blue speedwells, a Moonshine achillea, a Pizzaz hosta, an Elegans hosta and a clematis (that I forgot to grab a tag for so I don't know what it is, but I think it was Jack).

Oh and just in case you don't yet think I am crazy...I was playing hooky to pick up another two bushels of apples from my orchard friend/coworker and to go pick the remaining apples at another friends house (another bushel worth). I am determined to not run out of applesauce!

16 Comments:

Blogger azplantlady said...

Hello Sylvana,

I am with you, I can't pass a good sale, especially on plants. I hope you get all of your to do list finished.

10/12/2009 1:08 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

AZPlantLady, Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be fairly nice: sunny and 45-50F practically no wind. I can handle that! Maybe I can get that extra raised bed put in too!

10/12/2009 9:05 PM  
Blogger Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

The picture of the snow makes me shiver! I'm not ready for snow yet. Sounds like something that would happen to me... buy a bunch of plants and bulbs and then get bad weather so I couldn't plant them. I hope it warms back up soon and you can finish your "to do" list. -Jackie

10/12/2009 10:40 PM  
Blogger donna said...

I had no idea your part of the state had so much snow. We had a little snow fall on our pumpkins, but that's about it. It's cold here though. I find it energizing...at least that's what I tell myself:)

10/13/2009 7:26 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Jackie, this is the earliest that we have had snow in a very, very long time. So of course I was counting on at least another couple of snow-free weeks. Silly me!

Donna, I didn't even know that we were supposed to get snow! I just woke up and there it was. I love snow and winter and chilly weather, but I have snow-free stuff yet to do! Can't count on the weather in Wisconsin ;)

10/13/2009 9:56 AM  
Blogger Rosey Pollen said...

That was quite the bargain you scored.
Good luck planting all those bulbs, I have the same story. It is going to be a cold day but I have to get them in the ground before the next storm!
Rosey

10/13/2009 10:18 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Rosey Pollen, I'm most worried about the perennials. If I can't get the bulbs in the ground, I can always put them in cold storage until spring - I might lose a few and they won't bloom as well; but I don't think that the perennials would fair as well. Good luck with yours as well!

10/13/2009 8:33 PM  
Blogger Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

What fabulous deals!! Congrats on your terrific purchases. :)

10/13/2009 11:05 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Rebecca, I had to hold myself back knowing that I was running out of time to get these plants in the ground. If I hadn't exercised some constraint I surely would have bought everything!

10/14/2009 7:50 AM  
Blogger Jim Groble said...

I'm in Cleveland and it's supposed to snow tonight. It's going to be tough splitting plants in the snow!

10/15/2009 9:40 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Jim, yeah, It's hard to split what you can't find! Good luck. Maybe it won't stick - ours didn't.

10/16/2009 12:11 AM  
Blogger Scott & Liz said...

Way to go, Sylvana, SCORE!!
Nothing beats a plant sale.
Scott

10/16/2009 1:23 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

Brrrr.... I live in So Cal and we had to turn on the air conditioning today! Most bulbs do better where you live.

10/16/2009 7:54 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Scott&Liz, I thought I must have done something really good to get so lucky! I got first pick on their plants :)

Lydia, I really like a colder climate. Bulbs are just one of the things that make it worth while.

10/17/2009 12:01 AM  
Blogger sharp green pencil said...

Hi from Val at P and L ,, I just had to say how beautiful that snow looks...here the green is nice but relentless...it just goes on and on and on....

11/05/2009 6:14 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Val, it is so beautiful, I love winter and I think it would be difficult for me to live where there was no snow.

11/05/2009 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home