Friday, July 28, 2006

Good Morning!

When I woke up this morning and looked out of the second floor hall window (which I do every morning before going downstairs to start my day), I was greeted by a wonderful sight. I have been waiting all summer for my Plum Crazy hibiscus to bloom and brighten up my garden. I immediately grabbed the camera and headed outside.




When they say that the hardy hibiscus flower is as big as a dinner plate, they aren't kidding!

And when I was going through the pictures on my camera to get these pictures off it this morning, I found that I had finally taken a beautiful close up of my Gentle Shepard daylily.
It has a wonderful creamy color like moonlight. It is not a fast spreader, which can be good and bad. Good because it won't take over my garden; bad because I want more!!

Also on the camera was a good picture of the work that I am doing on the path.

I am setting the bricks in about 3" of sand for good drainage. I want these bricks to last a long time. So far I have used about twenty 50# bags of sand. I think I might need to call around for a truckful of sand instead! This is going to take a LOT of sand!!

11 comments:

Sandy said...

Your garden is looking wonderful and I love the path. Makes me tired just looking at it. Lots of hard work:).

Christine Boles said...

What a beautiful path! I love all the different brick colors and textures!

Sylvana said...

Sandy, thanks, but my garden still has a long way to go to get anywhere near your garden!

Christine, welcome to my blog! That is exactly what I wanted for the path - something colorful and full of texture - just like a garden should be.

David (Snappy) said...

The path is looking magical.you know like the wizard of oz.red brick path.wheres my ruby slippers and toto?Im always heading outside with the camera ever ready.nice pics of hibiscus.Gentle shepard is nice name, pretty daylilly too.

Sylvana said...

Snappy, you gave me a giggle! When I get it done I will inaugurate it by skipping down the path with my family and little daschund singing the wizard song!

Lynn said...

Love your path! I did mine in river stones that lead to my pond. Took me a couple of years to haul all those rocks home!! Seriously. Had to be round and flatish. I just love all sorts of garden paths.

Lynn said...

I also love hibiscus!! I have the Luna Red ~ good in zone 5. Mine has started to look a little sad....I think I better fertilize it and it is also in a place having good drainage. Needs watered every day.

Lynn said...

Did you know the hibiscus flower makes a great tea? I combine it with wild rose hips. Loads of vitamin C. Sorry so many posts, each time I thought of something else!!

Sylvana said...

Primrozie, I almost bought the Luna Red hibiscus this year, but it didn't have a flower on it and the place that I was buying from has a habit of selling things mislabeled.

I am all for the river rock idea. I want to do that in the gazebo, but I can't find anyone that carries rocks like that. And I can't find enough friends with rock piles to make it happen.

Anonymous said...

i love these bricks

Anonymous said...

Your path is beautiful...I am official overcome with jealousy.