Friday, July 07, 2006

I'm One of Those People Now

I have watched a lot of gardening shows over the years and there is a show every weekend that features some beautiful work involving found pieces. And at least once a month there is a show that involves something built using old brick. When asked where they got the bricks the homeowners inevitably recount a tale of passing by an old building being torn down or knowing someone tearing down a building. They go to the site, pull the bricks out of the rubble, and carefully chip off the mortar to clean them up.

I even KNOW someone that this happened to. Her friend who lived about an hour and half away told her about an old factory that was being torn down nearby where the friend lived. My friend picked up a couple loads of bricks. She bordered her flower beds with them. Some of them had a stamp on them that said "Dunn Company". It turns out that a company that used to be less than five miles from her house had made the bricks. The company is no longer around, but it's bricks have come home.

And I always thought to myself, "Luckies! Why can't I find an old building being torn down and drag home a load of beautiful old bricks.

And now I AM one of those people!! My neighbor's parents just built a brand new house and were tearing down their old one - really OLD one. The fireplace was made out of solid clay bricks, and I got some!


Here I have part of a load laid out in a garden pathway to get a feel for how they will look.

BEAUTIFUL!!

And there are still plenty of bricks to be had. That's what I will be doing all weekend. hauling bricks and helping with the rest of the building clean up. It will be well worth the effort!

11 comments:

Petunia's Gardener said...

Congratulations on the brick score and on the great patio! I had come across someone getting rid of old bricks (in a truck along side the road), but sadly they stayed in the path in my former garden. Your layout looks great.

Jenn said...

Get as many as you can. Sure as the day is long, there will come a time when you will look at the garden and think... all it needs is...

Great salvage! Go you!

Ms. Conduct said...

Gorgeous!!

SierraBella said...

Great find!

crazygramma said...

Good score I sure hope you are going to put them to good use otherwise I will have to come and get them LOL.

Sourire11 said...

wow! that's a GREAT find! the path looks amazing.

OldRoses said...

I've always wanted to be one of those people too! Your path is GREAT! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished project.

Sylvana said...

WOW! So many new people to my blog! Welcome to you all. I hope you enjoy my garden.

Tani, the answer is: VERY CAREFULLY! You definitely do not want the chimney caving in and taking your house with it, but if you start from the top down, you should be able to get them out.

Petunia, I might just have to live here for the rest of my life - or take those bricks with me! Nah, I'm feeling lucky. I think that if I network just right, I should be able to find another brick find wherever I might move to.

Jenn, the guy who owns the house that's being torn down kept asking me how many I wanted and I kept telling him, "Whatever you don't want. I will take them all if you let me." I know I can put ever last one of them to good use.

GardenObsession, thanks! They are even more stunning in person.

Sierrabella, I know! I feel so darn lucky - but I was due.

CrazyGramma, don't worry about those bricks. I consider them like flowers. They will all get a good home with me.

Sourire, they are far prettier in person.

OldRoses, the project probably won't be finished for quite some time because we still have to get quite a bit of sand to set all these bricks. Maybe I'll run across someone trying to unload a couple dump trucks full of sand. Could I be that lucky?

Carol Michel said...

I am so jealous that you have all those bricks. What a great find!

Diana LaMarre said...

How lucky can you get? WOW! I love all the brick work you have done so far.
The patio looks great.
All of your hard work has certainly paid off.

Sylvana said...

Carol, yay! You're jealous!
Yeah, I'm a wee bit evil ;)

Zoey, I'm glad to hear all the compliments. I worry sometimes that I am doing sloppy work that only looks good to me.