Friday, June 03, 2005

Blue Ravine Clematis

I got this clematis from a Kmart over four years ago. It was less than $2 if you can believe it. I have been growing it next to my clothes line pole hoping that it would climb it. It seems to be repelled by it though, and refuses to grab on. I may move it this year, but before I did that I had to find out if I could replace it if I totally screwed up. Yep, there's a place in the Cities that sells them, so I'm good to go.

This is a picture that I got from the web. It has been too overcast here to get a good picture of them. But they look just like this, blue with a little glow to them, so I didn't think that you would mind. It is blooming right now and will bloom again later this summer, too. Just beautiful. I love clematises.

5 comments:

OldRoses said...

I tried and failed with clematis when I first moved into this house. They kept dying on me. Or I kept killing them depending on your point of view. Come to think of it, I was also trying to get it to climb a clothesline pole.

crazygramma said...

I think I got lucky with my Clematis they are doing great, but I have let the grass grow around the base and have other plants next to it. Someone last year told me to keep the base of the plant cool so that may be why it is doing so good. It does look a little messy with the grass around it but if it survives and blooms what the heck.

Sylvana said...

I have grass growing around this clematis too and it is doing far better than the one that has nothing around it. Although they are two different varities and the other one is in part shade. I have heard that clematises like a cool base, too.

My clematises are doing so well that I am thinking about getting a bunch to grow on the new gazebo.

OldRoses said...

I heard about keeping the base cool too so I planted mine to climb a pole that was surrounded by daylilies. Maybe they were too large?

Sylvana said...

You can keep the day lilies cut back around the clematis until the clematis is big enough to get above them.