Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Shade Garden

This is the shade garden that I made for my husband. I figured that he has done so much over the years to help me make all these gardens that he should have one just for him. This garden is situated under a very large white pine, so it can be done. (Oops, I missed a dandelion!)

These are tulips that I planted last fall. I can't find the name for them. Dang, I really need to get organized! I do try to save all the bulb packages and plant tags so that I can figure out what things are later in case I lose track, but now I have to try and figure out where I put them all.

These are Shavakski's ligularia (Ligularia prezwalskii). I had so much trouble growing ligularia at first. I killed two Othellos and nearly killed this ligularia. Then I tried watering the bejeezus out of them. Ta-Da! I still have to water them through the really hot summer months because the tree keeps a lot of the rain from ever reaching the plants underneath, plus the tree is a water hog, but it is worth the extra work. Besides, it's nice to sit on the bench with the mister going on a hot day.

These are also ligularia- Dark Leaf (or Othello?). Love them! They have Tim Burtonish daisy-like flowers which are really nice, but mainly grew this for the awesome foliage.

Maidenhair ferns are one of my personal favorites. I love their jet black stem and the airy, tropical looking fronds. My horse loved to eat these, so they are also a little tribute to her.

Ferns. Love em! This is the Japanese painted fern. It is a slow grower, but then again, so are my other ferns. SSB (my husband) really loves ferns, so I see more ferns in this garden's future. Also, there are purple sorrels in here. I saved them from a work site several years ago and am really glad to see that they have taken to their new home. They really seem to like this fern, because this is the only place they are growing now; nestled in with the fern.

4 comments:

SierraBella said...

I'm a fern freak too.
Had them all on the deck, under an oak tree canopy. The oak died and I had to move them, darn!

Isaac Carmichael said...

I love my garden!!!

OldRoses said...

I'm starting to plant ferns in my shade garden too. So far I have Ostrich Plume Ferns, Lady Ferns and a Japanese Painted Fern. I've ordered a Ghost Fern. It is a cross between a Lady Fern and Japanese Painted Fern.

Sylvana said...

I saw the Ghost Ferns, but didn't think they looked much different than the Painted Fern, except they didn't have as many colors. I was only seeing young ones though. Is it that they sit more upright, perhaps?