Saturday, June 11, 2005

More From the Shade Garden



These Jack-in-the-Pulpits are another special item in SSBs shade garden. I got them from a rental home we own. The renters did not know what they were and were mowing over them, so I carefully dug them all up and moved them to our house.

This is the first year that they have flowered since I moved them about three years ago. I'm just glad to see that they are doing well and getting more established every year.

Jack-in-the-Pulpits are native to Wisconsin. At one time they were a protected species because so many people were going out into the woods to dig them up for their own garden. Trilliums were another species protected for this very reason. I know the trilliums have been removed from the list, but I'm not sure if the Jack-in-the-Pulpits have been. I hope I didn't do anything illegal by moving them. In my defense, they were not going to survive where they were and now they are doing just dandy.

9 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

Cool stuff! I have to get my wife on your blog. She is a crazy gardener. I just took some awesome pics of a couple of wild lady slippers that come up in our front woods every year. Very neat.

SierraBella said...

My husband would love these! (I do too.)
Mr. SB chooses the most unusual plants he can find. If it's common, he ignores it.
My favorite of his picks (so far) was Gayfeather.

Sylvana said...

gayfeather will take over your garden- but it's pretty easy to thin out.

My husband is totally into the most unusual plants he can find. I want to get him the walkingstick shrub for father's day- little expensive though- $50!!! Maybe I can mail order it.

Hey Johnny Virgil! Nice to see you here! How did you find the blog?

Johnny Virgil said...

I think I back tracked your profile from a comment you made on mine. We have a pretty extensive garden that we add to every year. We have this crazy vine that we're trying to identify. Has kind of an elongated heart-shaped leaf, no suckers but climbs like there's no tomorrow. We didn't plant it, so figure it has to be wild.

crazygramma said...

I have never heard of Gayfeather but it sounds interesting, I would love to see what it looks like.

OldRoses said...

Thanks for this write-up. I've been wanting to try Jack-in-the-Pulpit in my shady garden. Now I know to be patient and give it time to settle in.

SierraBella said...

crazygramma,
I believe gayfeather is Liatris.

Sylvana said...

Sierrabella, you are correct. Gayfeather is it's common name.

crazygramma said...

Thank you