Friday, June 17, 2005

Hardy Hibiscus

A few years back I planted some hardy hibiscus "Southern Bell" and "Lady Baltimore". Both of them only came up one more year and then died. I know they grow around here. The University has tons of them and they come up every year without problem. So I continue trying.

Last year I bought Kopper King, but it didn't get planted until really late. It still hasn't come up this year, but then I do have noted in my journal that one hibiscus did not come up until the 26th of June! Now that's rolling out of bed late!

I love how huge the flowers were, and I always got tons of compliments and inquiries, so this year, I'm trying another one- "Plum Crazy". I like it because, if you haven't already noticed, I like pinks and purples and this one is a little of both. I also like the femine frilliness of it. And from some of the pictures it looks like it is veined. I love veined flowers! (once again- I got this from a website selling these plants since mine has not yet flowered)


Plum Crazy

7 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Another beauty! I have 4 hibiscus trees with braided trunks in pots on my deck. They are not hardy. I overwinter in the basement. So far I have kept them alive for 3 years. I just noticed buds, so am awaiting the big, luscious blooms.

Sylvana said...

My parents do that with them too. Sadly, I don't have enough space in my own basement.

Kasmira said...

I've got some hardy hibiscus seedlings going. I plucked the seeds of a coworker's bush in early spring and planted them in a container. The seeds germinated like mad. Now I just have to wait a million years for my seedlings to grow into a flowering bush.

OldRoses said...

There's this house on the next street where they planted hibiscus' in a row across the middle of their lawn. The hibiscus' themselves are beautiful when the bloom, but the placement is just so bizarre.

SierraBella said...

Very pretty (even tho' it's a website photo.)
I'm also big into pinks, purples and blues in the garden.

Jenn said...

Watch for sprouts late (very late) in the spring, and then watch for cutworm... I lost a pair of plants before I figured out why the new growth kept 'dying' and falling over. When I combed my fingers through the mulch, there were the nasty catepillars. I threw them in the street for robin food. My robins love patroling my yard. Lazy birds!

Sylvana said...

Hey Jenn, Welcome to my blog! I throw grubs and caterpillars in the street for the robins too!! Thanks for the heads up on those nasty critters. My Disco Belle had been coming up and then all of a sudden it died- now I know why!

My robins especially like to follow me around when I am watering because the water brings the worms to the surface. They are smart!