Sunday, March 12, 2006

Spring Fever

This weekend it got up to 60 degrees (F). My family and I took the opportunity to go for a long walk around town yesterday to check out some trails that I had been hearing about. The walk took us across the campus grounds -- which even though I work there, I haven't had time to check out myself. I saw that the daffodils were beginning to come up. So we decided to dedicate today for garden clean up.

Here's what the garden looked like before. I don't do a lot of clean up in the fall because I am usually busy enjoying the fall weather hiking, biking, camping, BBQing, and generally having fun with my family. Fall is my favorite season. Dry and cool.

Plus, I hate seeing my garden so bare during the winter, and the birds still use the plant material for food all winter long. THAT'S IT! I do it for the birds! Yeah, I'm not unconcerned for my garden, I'm concerned for the birds.

Anyway...

Here's what my garden looked like after about three hours of work. I still have a lot to do, but the ground is still too frozen to weed; we could only do surface cleaning.

"Did it just get brighter, or is it because all the sunflowers are gone?" my husband commented after we were finished. It may not look it in the picture, but we really got rid of a lot of junk.

This is the earliest that I have been able to get out for spring clean up in a very long time. It feels so good to have so much of it taken care of!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, taking a 'before' picture. I think I will do that myself when it warms up enough to get out in the yard.

Your cooking looks scrumptious! I can't tolerate casein, a milk protein, anymore. I really miss cheese...

Sylvana said...

Sabine, after I read your comment I went back and looked at my recipes and was surprised to see that the last bunch all had cheese. You should take a look at my chicken recipes. They are delicious and don't have cheese. There is a recipe pull-down menu in my sidebar.

Jenn said...

That's not JUNK! It's COMPOST!!!

*grins*

I did a bit of the spring tidy this past weekend too, although we are going to get at least one more snow fall, so I'm leaving the mulched stuff alone.

Sylvana said...

Jenn, I don't compost yard waste, but I bring it to the local compost site. We just got that snow and more to come.

Anonymous said...

I think I'd like the Coronation Chicken Salad. I have all the ingredients for that and it looks quick and easy.

I keep hoping that the casein thing will go away again. I had some cheese today and have tolerated it well so far. Hopefully I'll be making lasagnes, fajitas and cheesecakes again.

OldRoses said...

Hey, the garden looks GREAT! You guys did a ton of work. After you take the yard waste to the local compost site, can you then take compost home to use?

Sylvana said...

Sabine, is there anything that you can take to help that. I know some lactos intolerant people that take some herbal supplement and that helps them. Is there something for casein intolerance? I know that with lactos intolerance it can sometimes matter what time of day you have it. I couldn't imagine not being able to have dairy products!!!

OldRoses, OH YEAH!! It's fabulous. All season long I get truck load after truck load of beautiful compost
FOR FREE!!!

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Sylvana,
It looks like you got a good deal of spring clean up done already!

So far all I have done is think about it - I am still a few weeks away from getting out there and working.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's anything that will counteract a sensitivity to casein. I just have to avoid it. It's a common problem for those of us with fibromyalgia.

Northern Pike brings back memories. My Dad caught one while fishing in his kayak and had to be rescued by nearby boaters. The pike was pulling him all over the lake. It was huge!