Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Long Time No See

I have something strange happening in my garden this spring - many of the tulips and daffodils that I haven't seen in years have suddenly bloomed!

Back in 1998 I planted 5 Texas Flame tulips. They all bloomed the following spring. The next spring two weakly bloomed. A few years after that 1 bloomed. Then nothing but greenery - until this spring when all 5 bloomed as if I had just planted them last fall!
These daffodils I planted in 1998 as well. They bloomed the following spring and then only sent up leaves every spring after that, until this spring when the whole bunch bloomed again!
I planted this Estella Rijnveld (actually 3 of them) in 1998. They bloomed the following spring, then nothing but leaves until this spring. Only one, but still...
These daffodils, yeah, you guessed it - 1998. Bloomed the following spring and then not again until this spring.

I also had daffodils, Salome - supposed to be naturalizing daffodils by the way, that I planted over 5 years ago, that didn't even bloom the spring following planting-- in fact they never bloomed, until this spring!

It must have been a great year for bulbs!

6 comments:

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Sylvana,
I know what you mean about these 'vanishing act' bulbs! One year our daffodils came up but didn't bloom, then reappeared the following year in force. Our naturalizing ones continue to do very well and are multiplying nicely. We just had some globe alliums pop up and bloom this week that we hadn't seen for a year or so, and had some very odd appearances by some yellow tulips we swear we never planted! Who knows the ways of the bulbs? One of our hyacinths was a no show this year, so wonder if it will come back next year....

I agree, I think it was a great year for bulbs overall. We're still awaiting our Spanish Bluebells (aka: Wood Hyacinths) and our Camassia to bloom, then after that, Mr. Stinky, the Dragon Arum ... he has 8 offshoots this year, so we are hoping for multiple blooms!

Sylvana said...

Iowa VG, this whole experience just strengthens my stance on not digging up bulbs to toss them, even if they are no longer performing.

Speaking of wood hyacinths - they were another one that bloomed this year even though I haven't seen them for years. And my dutch irises right next to them that have bloomed reliably for at least 6 years didn't bloom this year.

I hope your dragon arum does have multiple blooms. That should look splendid!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I get such pleasure from looking at flowers and walking through gardens. Thanks for sharing your green thumb passion and the fruits of your labour on here! :)

Sylvana said...

Hey, Mrs. L! Glad to see you here! I like to post pictures, so you should be able to get your garden fix here.

IBOY said...

Sylvana... I've had the same experience this spring; every tulip, and almost every daffodil in the garden bloomed this spring (they looked pretty smug about it, too)!
Love the World Expression tulip.
Don

Sylvana said...

IBOY, I am completely enjoying the extra show this spring. And I still have tulips that have yet to bloom! My black parrot tulip buds haven't even opened yet.