Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Little More Left

Concord grapes. This is less than half of the harvest. I picked two more of these large bowls full of grapes and even left a bunch on the vine for the birds anxiously waiting in the lilac for me to finish. I have preserved over dozen pints of jam - and if you haven't had home-made grape jam, you don't know what you are missing! I traded some of the grape jam for apples from an orchard owner I know. He gets sick of apples, so was very happy to get something grapey instead.

Empress of India nasturtium and some kind of aster that I don't immediately remember the name of. This aster always looks like it is just not going to make it all summer, but then some time in mid-August it takes off and starts to bloom in September. It doesn't look very good with that red nasturtium, but I think the nasturtium leaves match well. Perhaps a pastel nasturtium next year?

I know a lot of you may see this bloom and say, "Oh no!" But I love this little weed! It is an annual hibiscus. Although it self-seeds freely, it is easy to weed out where you don't want it. I was lucky enough to have a large patch of these this year so that they packed a bigger punch when they did bloom -- which is usually for a few hours mid-day.


Purple Prince zinnia. I need to grow more zinnia next year. They are so easy and beautiful. Some of them even looked like dahlias, which I won't grow because they are too much maintenance.




Gaillardia. I have been trying to spread this sport around. I think yellow is rather harsh, but the orange and red in this one is very beautiful. So far I have managed to multiply this from the initial sport to about a dozen of the same color pattern in the last two years.



Blue Boy phlox. I have had this phlox for years and this is the first that it has bloomed. Not really blue, but a welcome bloom for the garden anyway.






Main garden. It is such a lovely view from my kitchen window.

16 comments:

donna said...

I'm a big fan of Gaillardia. They bloom all summer long. Still blooming. I bought concord grapes at the grocery store that I thought were delish. Can only imagine how good yours taste. Love the photo of them on the wooden table with leaves scattered about. Nice.

Sylvana said...

Donna, these are not great table grapes, but are fantastic for preserves. And they smell SO GOOD!!

Chloe m said...

Sylvana,
Hey, weeds are in the eye of the beholder? I like that Hibiscus and I would NEVER consider it a weed.
You do have a lovely view from your Kitchen window, I get to look at a swingset and a trampoline from my kitchen window. But my bedroom looks out on the garden, at least.
Rosey

Wendy said...

oh my gosh, this is your view from the kitchen? How lovely!

My burgundy gaillardia is blooming it's little heart out. Not totally jazzed about the color, but it may look different against a new color scheme I'm planning.

Sylvana said...

Rosey Pollen, Oooo! A bedroom overlooking the garden sounds so much more romantic!

Sylvana said...

Wendy, I have had plants that looked so awful in one location that I nearly threw them in the trash. But decided to move them instead, and then they looked marvelous! I would definitely try moving them before throwing them out -- unless they look totally pukey.

littlewing said...

I just love your Gaillardia and your kitchen window view is wonderful!

Sylvana said...

LittleWing, thanks. We're supposed to get frost tonight, so that may be it for most of my garden for this year.

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Not table grapes, but so beautiful! I could just frame them! (:

Sylvana said...

Vicki, I really liked them in these blue bowls, too!

Jim Groble said...

I mowed around the hibiscus in my front yard. Your ligularia look great.

Sylvana said...

Jim, ah! Another hibiscus afficionado. I really like this ligularia. It is such a stately plant at all stages.

Lydia said...

How much for to find that much of what I grow here in Southern California does so well in your neck of the woods.

Northern Shade said...

Your mauve coloured aster looks sweet. A golden flowered nasturtium would look good with it.

You were very patient to wait that long for Blue Boy to flower. The bloom looks nice and full. It's fun to have some flowers to anticipate in fall.

That first picture of the grapes surrounded by fall leaves is what I love about fall, with all the bounty and colour.

Sylvana said...

Lydia, plants sure are adaptive.

Northern Shade, I luckily planted Blue Boy in a out-of-the-way place so I didn't have to look at its non-bloominess all those years :)

Toni said...

Oh, I love the view from you kitchen... what a wonderful garden!!!! Thank you for sharing your little piece of heaven!