Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Ligularia Abounds

For quite a few years I tried to grow ligularia and every year I killed it. Finally two years ago, I managed to get it to live by planting in the shade and giving it a LOT of watering all summer long.

Well, this variety I plopped in the ground last year and never paid any more attention to it (I went overseas, so I really wasn't around to do anything with it). This year, I almost pulled it up as a weed because I had forgotten that I had planted it at all. Luckily, I noticed that there were three of these weeds in some sort of order so I figured I'd just wait to see what they would do.

I really wish I could find the tag for these because they do so well without all the extra care that my other ligularia have required. Ifany of you have any ideas, please let me know.

7 comments:

jac said...

Some times nature makes us wonder about certain things, like my velvet apple. I have planted it in several places but none came up, I gave up the idea.
After 6 months, I found one of them coming up strong from where I dont remember planting it.

OldRoses said...

I've never heard of this and had to Google it. Seems it is a bog plant which is why it needs so much water. Supposedly, it's easy to grow as long as it has shade and lots of water.

Sylvana said...

Jac, if it is a tuber or bulb plant, an animal might have moved it. My squirrels here do it all the time.

OldRoses, I knew that it was a bog plant that is why I just kept trying more and more water to try and get them to survive. That's why I don't understand why these are doing just fine without ANY extra water. This is not a wet area. It is in the sun at least half the day and is on a little hill.
*scratching head in wonderment*

crazygramma said...

Don't you just love it when something we mistake as a weed actually is a flower? I almost pulled out my Bellflower thinking it was a big nasty weed.

Sylvana said...

I can't even tell you how many times I have destroyed plants that I actually planted because I didn't recognize what they were.

Exmoorjane said...

Now how funny......this grows like a weed in my garden in the UK...... really invasive!

Sylvana said...

Exmoorjane, welcome to my blog! You are so lucky in the UK, things just grow. Oh, to garden in the UK!!

I guess if I were so inclined to have things "just grow" I would just plant native plants - but what is the fun in growing things that are naturally all over the place. Hardly very exciting.