Sunday, May 21, 2006

MN Landscape Arboretum

A couple of weekends ago my family and I visited the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum for the first time. We had lived just twenty minutes away from it for two years and never went. That was probably for the best because we were apartment dwellers and it would have just made me sad that I couldn't have my own garden. In other words, if you live near the Twin Cities I highly recommend a visit.

I took a ton of pictures , but I will only put a few here. I have picked out what I thought were the most interesting.


This was one of the first sights as we entered the arboretum.



This is the front tulip display. I loved the amount of tulips that they had packed together. If I had enough money, I think I might do this too.



There were several water falls. This was one of my better pictures of one.


These pictures will have to serve as an appetizer. Due to the fact that I had a very busy weekend doing home repair and I desperately need some sleep, I will post some more pictures throughout the week.

6 comments:

OldRoses said...

Great pictures! The tulips are wonderful. I love the waterfall. Do they have any special plantings along it?

crazygramma said...

Wow I would love to do the tulips enmasse like that as well, however I would have to put dig up another section of my yard. And of course there is the money thing too.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, they do have plantings along the waterfalls. This one had mostly shrubs and trees. I have other pictures to go through. Perhaps I have one that shows more of the landscape around them. But I get kind of focused on the water when I see waterfalls!!

Crazygramma, I am dividing my tulips and daffodils this year. Some tulips multiply better than others. I have tulips that I planted the same year and some have nearly grown tenfold while the others barely have multiplied at all. I might make post a list sometime.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what they do with that piece of land when the tulips are dying down. At Butchart Gardens on Vancouver Island,BC they dig them all up and put them in trenches in an out-of-the-way place after they bloom. Then the bulbs are replanted in the fall.

I am trying to grow perennials that will hide the dying leaves as they grow.

David (Snappy) said...

great pics.I love the massed planted tulips.They look so good done like that.Very dutch..

Naturegirl said...

Thanks for giving us these photos..my fav... the waterfalls.