Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Obsessive Goodness Is Spreading

I was recently added to a collective blog called GardenOfEden. It's so nice to be noticed, but now I am really going to have to step up my writing!

OR I could just show more pictures!


This is lychnis. It has beautiful fuzzy silvery leaves, and the flowers aren't half bad either!


Another silvery beauty in my garden is "Looking Glass" brunnera. It is a great brightener for shady areas. It has flowers similar to forget-me-nots, but it is the foliage that I love.


This morning even MORE of the hibiscus were blooming. I loved this shot since it includes the full bloom with the funky pistil and stamen, a fully closed bud, a not yet ready to open bud all sweetly curled up in the calyx, the underside of a flower which gives a view of how the calyx hugs and supports the huge corolla, a just blooming flower, a waning flower, and the leaves. A great botanical study.


And last, but not least, my Tiffany tea rose finally bloomed. It is as beautiful as I had hoped it would be and it smells nice too. I am sad to say that this is the only Menards tea rose that made it, but I am still happy because this is the one that I really wanted anyway!

7 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Love the tea rose and the scent it has. The Hibiscus looks like my rose of sharon posted!(mine is a lavender shade)
Congrats on Garden of Eden..I have never heard of it until now.So many garden blogs how do we keep up!

David (Snappy) said...

I have heard of garden of eden (i got email from the editor).It makes you glow actually as someone has responded to your blog.As the garden is a part of you in the designing, growing, nurturing.The blog is an exploration of that.You can post more often now you are famous.The hibiscus are nice, and i love your tea rose.Breakfast at tiffanys?How does it smell?keep on posting.

Sylvana said...

NatureGirl, that's because Rose of Sharon is a hibiscus! Mine is a perennial while ROS is a woody shrub. I saw your beautiful pictures of your lavender ROS. I love that color!

Snappy, I have seen your posts on GardenOfEden. Great pictures. The Tiffany has a light rosey+fruity scent. It gets a much deeper scent when the sun shines on it. And you can smell it pretty well as long as you are in a couple foot radius of it.

Sandy said...

Lovely brunnera. I must get one:)

Sylvana said...

Sandy, I was told that this takes a while to really get established, but then it will slowly spread. This year it took a while to get going, so I am assuming that it is still using most of its energy to get its roots firmly established (I only planted it last year). My ginger did the same thing.

Lisa Blair said...

Hi Sylvana,

I am new to your blog, and I really like it! I agree with Sandy that the brunnera is beautiful. It reminds me a bit of hosta.

Keep up the good work!

Sylvana said...

Lisa, welcome to my blog!

I like trying out new plants and I am really glad that I tried this one. I have a few uses in mind for it.