Saturday, October 24, 2009

Veggie Bed Overhead

Here is an overhead view of my vegetable garden with the newest bed installed and two other "possible" beds laid out. The small bed will be for raspberries and the big bed is for pumpkins. The other bed will be a general bed. If everything goes well tomorrow I will be finishing all these and hopefully get them filled with compost before the end of the day.

Update (Saturday 2:18pm): I got called in to work, so I didn't make very great progress on this project. I will post a picture of my progress most likely tomorrow.

Update (Saturday 5:56pm):

I don't have the rebar in or the beds filled with compost, but I do have them leveled and ready to go whenever it quits raining...

Update (Sunday 5:32pm): It didn't rain like it was supposed to so I got the rebar installed on all the beds. Yay for me! I got an abrasive saw disc to cut the rebar to shorter pieces (1' instead of 2'); and I got an auger bit big enough to get through all three stacked pieces of landscape timbers which really sped things up! The disc cost $6 (but you can get them at the Big Boxes for $3) and the auger bit cost me $8 (and boy was it hard to find! Got it at Menards). Both were definitely worth their prices!

13 comments:

Chloe m said...

you go girl! :)
I love overhead shots of people's veggie plots.
I am so ashamed of my veggie plot, it is a huge mess because I planned poorly. I need to do some re-arranging.
Rosey

Sylvana said...

I am lucky enough to live in a two story house with windows overlooking the back yard - sometime I even go out on the roof to take these shots. They really help me see what I am doing!

I like your enthusiasm for gardening; just get in there and go and work out the details later :)

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

That pesky work, why is it always interferring with gardening!
I love the overhead shot. I am thinking of climbing on my roof (flat) to take one. I have to wait until some leaves come down tho, big trees around house, hiding garden!

Sylvana said...

Deborah, yeah, work is such a time vampire.

I can't tell you how valuable an overhead shot is! Although you and your garden guest may not be looking at your garden from above, you may get the feeling that something is off but can't quite put your finger on it. A view from above can easily show uneven distributions and flow problems that you just may never consciously notice from the ground.

Wendy said...

looks great so far!! I'm also waiting for the rain to stop so I get make some headway!!

Sylvana said...

Wendy, it was supposed to rain all day today, but it didn't, so I was able to get the rebar done on these beds. Yay!
Good luck with your projects. The problem with the way that it is going right now is that we'll have four days of rain, one without. But it's still too wet to do much of anything! I guess, at least it's not snowing!

Linda said...

I can't imagine what my husband would say if I told him I must get on the roof to take proper photos of the garden. lol We love our raspberry patch. I think you'll be really happy with that addition.

Sylvana said...

Linda, just don't tell him ;)

I got that bed mostly dug today and should receive the plants Wednesday.

Tootsie said...

I tend to spend a lot of time standing on the roof of my truck taking photos!! hey...a gardener's gotta do what a girls' gotta do!
thanks for popping in on my today!!! I am so glad to have met you!

Sylvana said...

Tootsie, standing on a truck! Of course! I could get better close-up shots. I just have a minivan, but that would work ;)

Your garden is a riot of color! That must be a lot of work as I see most of them are annuals.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Overhead shots are great of your gardens. What a lot of work, but well worth it. Isn't it GREAT having the right tools for jobs? You are an inspiration.

Thanks for visiting and picking my dinner for two posting.

FlowerLady

Sylvana said...

FlowerLady, having the right tool for the job is so worth it!

That baked pear recipe just sounds so good!

Anonymous said...

Actually,good post. thx