Sunday, February 19, 2006

Cool Kitchen Gadgetry: Marble Cheese Slicer

I know that every house already has a cheese slicer. Probably one like this one. I grew up with a slicer like this in my house and never really cared for it. It is difficult to get straight slices. You usually end up with knocked knuckles and a block of cheese that is scooped on one end.


So when I was out looking for new gadgets for my kitchen and saw this cheese slicer at $8.99 (Fleet Farm of all places), I had to have it. Isn't it beautiful? AND it slices beautifully too. You can get super thin slices or really thick slices, whatever you need. It is really easy to use, you don't have hold onto the block of cheese, and the marble keeps the cheese cool too.


I have used it on all sorts of cheese and haven't had a problem with any of them. THough this one did come with a couple extra slicing wires in case one does break.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is so big (I have a small kitchen and like small, collapsable, or multi-use items) and really only has one use. But, it's pretty enough to sit out on the counter if I can't find room in a drawer. So I think it is a keeper.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Sylvana
Zone 4 is pretty darn cold. Can you not grow any broadleaf evergreens or conifers?

Sylvana said...

I'm not big on conifers for my landscape. I've found a few that I like, but they are out of my budget right now. My area in general has many cedars, but they get kind of grey-brown during the winter. Not many pines unless they are in farms. It's not really the right climate for them; they grow better farther north (my hometown area is FULL of them!!). So we have blah to look at. But the snow does brighten things up a bit. That's one of the reasons that I like snow so much!

Jenn said...

Nice slicer! I might have to look for one of those...

As for the green in winter - you might try Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

These stay compact and are a joy to watch as they slowly grow. If you plant them out of the wind (in my snowless, windy zone 5 yard) they don't do the winter burn - and even if they get a bit of scorch on their needle tips, it disappears in the spring with the new growth.

Worth looking at, even if you don't decide to plant.

Sylvana said...

Jenn, thanks Jenn. The reason I don't like conifers in general is that I am not a big fan of geometric shapes, I like organic shapes. It is a pretty pine, though.
And you are right! We do have a lot of wind here!

Diana LaMarre said...

Nice cheese slicer.
Can you believe that I am one who does not own a cheese slicer?
I agree with Jenn, Dwarf Alberta Spruce are great for good green winter color. I love them (think I have 13 of them now).

jac said...

I want a plate !!

Sylvana said...

Zoey, I have just used a knife in the past, but I always hated the way the cheese would suction onto the blade. i couldn't resist this beautiful slicer.

Jac, I love cheese!!

OldRoses said...

Come to think of it, I don't own a cheese slicer either! Yours is great. I'll have to look for one.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, they might have them at Bed,Bath,& Beyond. Otherwise, WORLD MARKET! I love that store!!!

Sylvana said...

This cheese slicer is about 5x8 - in fact that one in the picture might be it! I actually found a place for it in my kitchen - right under my coffee grinder.

Thanks for the link. I was wondering where I might get spare parts.