Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Traditional Manicotti

I got this recipe from the 1000 Vegetarian Recipe book. I'm telling you, I LOVE that book!!

In this bowl is two heaping cups of cottage cheese (it was supposed to be ricotta, but I had to substitute cottage cheese + romano), 1/4 cup Romano (see, I told you), 3/4 a package of frozen spinach, a cup chopped mixed sweet peppers and 3 chopped scallions.

This is what it looks like all mixed up. I also added some salt and pepper.

This recipe is actually called "Traditional Canelloni" in the book, but I didn't have canelloni, I had manicotti. Hey, it's all just pasta.

Cook the pasta most of the way. Drain and run cold water over it to cool it down enough to handle it, because you have to stuff them.

The book showed someone using a spoon to stuff the pasta, but good luck with that. I used my hands. We evolved them for a reason, you know.

Here is Neo asking if he can have some yet. Doesn't it look like you could just stuff him in one of the manicotti?

Awe! What a cutie!!

But NO!! You can't have any!

Put the stuffed pasta in a grease baking dish. Pour pasta sauce over the top. I made my own with tomatoes I canned from my own garden, but you can use what you want. The sauce should just about cover the pasta.

Sprinkle romano and parmesan on top and cook in for 30-40 minutes at 375 degrees; or until the pasta is completely cooked and the cheese on top is browned.
Mine didn't quite make it to the browned stage since my son kept hounding me about when it would be done.

Like every five minutes!!

It was pretty good. Well, I'll say it has great potential. I would definitely try this again, with a couple of changes...

Changes I would make:
* Cook it longer.
* Use thicker sauce. I did not spend a lot of time making sure the sauce was right before I used it and I added extra water to it because I didn't have enough to cover the pasta sufficiently.
* MORE CHEESE!!! Hey, I'm from Wisconsin! Maybe a little mozzarella grated on top. Yummy!!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey, Neo - Try wagging that tail harder!

What a cutie!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Sylvana, this recipe looks yummy,
my mouth is watering just thinking about it! I would definitely try this next weekend. Neo is so cute! His yes are asking for a little bit!

Sylvana said...

Jenn, oh, he was working me over good. Believe me.

Sonia, it is pretty good for left overs, too. The way this recipe is written, I wasn't entirely happy with it, but I think encorporating my suggestions for changes should make it really good.

We've had Neo for about 6 months. He was a shelter dog. See what cute dogs you can get from the shelter? :D

Diana LaMarre said...

That sounds good, Sylvana. That is about the same filling I use for manicotti (except mine is not vegetarian and has burger in it). I do throw lots of cheese on top, too. That's the best part!

Sylvana said...

Zoey, I don't eat beef, but I thought that this might be good with ground turkey in the filling. I was actually even going to put that in a suggested change, but forgot. Oops!