Sunday, February 12, 2006

Marmarumalade Chicken

I'm finally over my cold and have started cooking again. Today I was inspired by the large quantities of clemetines that were left over from when I had a cold and the marmalade that I made with some of them for my son the other day. I thought the marmalade would go very well with chicken, so I devised a recipe to bring the two together.

I started the recipe very similar to how I made the marmalade: slice the clemetines thinly, add 1/4 cup lemon juice -- or you could also thinly slice a lemon, add 1/4 cup sugar -- I used brown sugar for extra flavor and because I was going to jazz up the marmalade with a little spiced rum, about 2 cups of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum to be exact (or as exact as I ever get in my recipes!).

I also added a couple tablespoons of dried cilantro. I mixed everything together in a large bowl. You need a large enough bowl for the chicken that you are cooking since you will be marinading the chicken in the marmarumalade. By the way, my clever husband came up with that name. I like to name my dishes fun names, and I think that name fit well.

When I put the chicken in the bowl, there wasn't anough marmalade marinade to cover the chicken sufficently, so my husband suggested using fruit juice. I used 2/3 of a can of 100% apple/passion/mango frozen juice concentrate.


I let the chicken marinade about 20 minutes, then flipped it over and let it marinade another 20 minutes.

Then it was into my clay pot cooker. I stuffed the chicken with the sliced clemetines and poured the marinade into the cooker.

I let it cook in a 450 degree oven for about an hour and twenty minutes.

It came out a little crispier than I had intended but the clay pot cooker did its job of keeping the chicken moist, and it was DELICIOUS!!


I would definitely make this again!

2 comments:

jac said...

Mouth watering !!!
But I can't cook, Syl !
I will wait until the winter is gone to see your garden news.

OldRoses said...

Is the chicken giving birth to the stuffing or just having a gyno exam? Bet it tasted good, tho.