Monday, May 14, 2007

Free Tree

Mother's Day was another very busy day. I started weeding and adding compost to the delphinium bed, but got sick of running into the half dead ornamental plum so I had my son cut it down for me.

Then there was a huge gap that I was not happy with. Seeing as we did not get a tree the day before, I wasn't sure what to do. But as you may have guessed - I am obsessive. I did not want to wait to fill the gap so I started finally digging out an oak that I have been meaning to move for a couple of years. It was a gift from the tree rats, but they planted it too close to the high line. I didn't move it yet because I had no idea where to put it and I heard that oaks were not easy to move successfully. But it was either move it or chop it down, so why not give it a chance to live?

OMG! They are not easy to move at all! I was digging in 85F heat for about an hour and a half! I had fully intended to dig a good three feet down before cutting the roots (oaks have a tap root system - a series of thick roots that grow practically straight down), but the spot it was in was tight and I kept hitting roots. Even though I hacked up the roots more than I wanted to, I did finally get it out and move it to its new home.

Sorry it's so fuzzy, but it was dusk when I took this picture. You can see the remains of the plum between the dogwood and the oak. I was actually happy that the plum died - it was way too close to the dogwood and I didn't want to move it.

This oak so far hasn't seemed to even notice that it got moved. I watered the crap out it yesterday and feed it to give it a boost. I still have not gotten any root stimulator, otherwise I would have used some of that too. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. This is an absolutely lovely tree and I think that it fits the spot nicely. I figure if I can keep it happy for a couple of weeks it might just stand a chance.

7 comments:

OldRoses said...

Good for you! An oak is far more valuable in the landscape than a plum. I hope it makes it.

Jess Riley said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I LOVE your gardens!

I am so ready to plant this weekend. (I'm in Wisconsin, too.)

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, I think so. It is a far better fit and look for the space too.

Jess, welcome to my blog, and garden! I will be planting my veggie garden this weekend hopefully.
What part of Wisconsin are you in?

Ladyseashells said...

Hi Sylvana,

Last spring we also moved my plum tree and it didn't like the idea. It was done during the flowering time so it wasn't a good time. It was a happy tree standing beside our basketball court till my son told me the brances is getting long and it's poking him everytime he runs around the court corner. We only had one year's harvest,and the fruit was good. Next time i go to the garden center I will try to get a replacement. Good luck on your new planted tree.

Sylvana said...

Lady SeaShells, that's too bad. I like plums.

I try to make sure that I put trees and shrubs exactly where I want them, but I find that I end up moving way too much stuff!

Ladyseashells said...

I got a replacement for it.. called Salad Tree (grafted) there's nectarin, apricot, plum and prune. My son asked " where's the whipping cream, on the top"? I dont think it will fruit this summer, maybe next year. Im excited and i can't wait to see the fruits all in one tree. The new outlook of your blog header is nice. Nice color tulips.

Sylvana said...

Lady SeaShells, I have seen those trees in catalogs before but have always been suspicious. Let me know how it turns out.