Sunday, May 06, 2007

More May Shots

I love bulbs and my bulb beds are looking so good this year. They are filling out wonderfully.


These Bright Parrot tulips that I got from Breck's last fall just bloomed today. They are AWESOME!! I'm so glad that I got them last year, because they aren't in the catalog this year. I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the bulbs that I got from Breck's. So even though they are fairly expensive, I think that they are worth the money - especially if you use the $25 coupon that they send every year. I will be using it again this year!


I got these as a mixed tulip bag - they were ALL purple! Which is just fine, because I like purple.


A shot of my main bulb beds. You can see the Gavotas blooming just on the other side of the path.


These are my favorite tulips - Princess Irene. This picture is pretty good at highlighting their color, but I think that seeing them in person is far better.


This is another lily tulip. I can not remember the name. I bought it on special and stuck it in the ground without recording it. It is in the big berm, which does not seem to be very friendly to my bulbs. I have lost every one that I have planted in it except this one (which was a pack of ten).


The rodgeria leaves have unfurled. They still have quite a bit of growing to do. This plant gets a few feet tall.


"Elizabeth" magnolia in bloom. The tree is only in its second year at our house, so it only has three blooms, but they are just amazing.

7 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Sylvana,
Your tulips are looking great.
I like the purple lily ones and the orange Princess Irene. I have some that look quite sililar, but I don't remember their names.

I think my tulips will be blooming this week. I'm always the last person to get tulips!

Sylvana said...

I will be over to see yours when you post pics. I love tulips and am always on the look-out for new varieties to try out.

I want to get more lily tulips. But I think I'm done planting in that middle berm until I figure out what the problem is. Unfortunately, that's where I need them the most!

Haddock said...

My bulbs have finished for this year here in Germany. But I'll be planting more this Autumn. I like the Princess Irene. The colour is great :)

Unknown said...

I am SO with you in the Princess Irenes! This is the first year I planted those in my garden, and I've totally fallen in love with them. I'll have to post a picture, but they look so nice with the purple heuchera and bronze-leaf grasses when backlit by the sun.

Have you found that your Princess Irenes live for a few years, or do you have to replace them every single year?

Sylvana said...

Haddock, I've got another couple of weeks and then it on with the perennials!

Blackswamp Girl, my Princess Irenes are over 6 years old and still just as strong and beautiful as the first spring. In fact, they have multiplied a little (just a couple more plants - not major multipliers).
Good luck with yours!

Lisa Blair said...

Wow! The Princess Irene tulips are a beauty. I can see why they are your favorites.

Sylvana said...

Lisa, I have been having trouble finding more of these too. They have been multiplying but very slowly.