Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I Feel So Violated!

I came home from work early to get some gardening done.

First I mowed the lawn. That really makes the garden look so much better. It works as good as a day's worth a weeding.

Then I actually got down to weeding. As I was weeding my candy lily bed I noticed that the Bright Parrot tulips that I had planted nearby had been beheaded. It was a real ugly beheading too - the stems were shredded. Strange, I thought. As I leaned in to examine, I saw that two of the bulbs had actually been pulled right out of the ground and left to bake in the sun.

Those damn squirrels!!!

I replanted the bulbs thinking to myself that I should have remembered to put hair around these bulbs since they were fairly new. Then I hear my neighbor calling to me from across the street. He wanted to tell me about something that he had seen yesterday -

- a woman was in my garden picking my flowers.

WHAT THE HELL?!! Who the hell would do that? Someone obviously that feels that they are so damn important that they alone deserve the right to enjoy those flowers, those flowers that they did not buy, plant and slave over. Flowers that were not in THEIR YARD!!!

My neighbor said that by the time he decided she probably wasn't a friend of mine, she was gone. I told him that no one has permission to pick my flowers. I don't even pick my flowers!!

And this woman can't even be bothered to replant the bulbs that she pulled out of the ground in the process!!

I felt sick. I was so irritated that I just couldn't even finish my gardening.

Besides robbing me, and all my garden fans, the enjoyment of all my hard work, this stupid woman has me completely re-thinking plant choices and placement now. I hate the fact that I am now very hesitant to buy more interesting plants and feel like I have to hide them.

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

She better hope that I never find her!

14 comments:

Wondering Woman said...

My brother-in-law had the same thing happen. His flowers kept disappearing and he thought maybe there was a demented flower destroying dog roaming the neighborhood. Then one day he was inside and saw a "friend" drive up (his garden borders a church parking lot), get out of her car, pick a bouquet and take off. He couldn't believe it. He made a sign "please don't pick the flowers" and placed it in the flowerbed because he's a much nicer person than most. But next week she did the same thing. When someone's uncouth enough to do something like that they're also stupid enough to think the sign doesn't apply to them. Amazing..... If someone did that to my flowers it would be Wrestle Mania in the front yard. Hope you catch her at it and kick her up and down the street.

Sylvana said...

DJB, welcome to my blog!
Oh, yeah, I thought about putting up a sign too, but everything that I thought to put on it would probably get me a citation if not thrown in jail.

What really stinks about this is that they are not the re-flowering kind of flowers. I have to wait a whole year to see them again.

You bet I'd kick her ass!
Grrr!!!!

Entangled said...

Has the entire universe gone wacko or what? Yours is the second such blog post I've read in two days. Hank at A Lake County Point of View posted his experience yesterday.

My condolences.

jennie said...

that is so crazy. Seriously, who would do that DURING THE DAY?

Lynn said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! Maybe a few NO TRESPASSING signs are in order? Or perhaps, a BB gun ;)

Haddock said...

I dont suppose it was the squirrels in disguise!?

Only kidding. I would be as mad as hell as well if a stranger was picking flowers in my garden.

Nickie said...

That used to happen to my garden in CA all the time. It woould piss me off so bad and I cought several people at it. They would pick my irises, and even pull them compleatly out of the ground and leave them to die in the sun, steal my rose flowers, tulips, lilac flwoers and others...
Sometimes people would knock on the door and ask. I was happy to share with nice people but jerks...no way.

Hanna said...

I had that happen with my very first garden. Fortunatly a sign was enough to disuade any further theft.

It is just a shame that people don't understand that flowers and plants are property and not free to anyone.

Jenn said...

Interplant with stinging nettle?

Dried, it's supposed to make a decent tea. And it would certainly roll back up that 'welcome' matt that woman seems to be seeing.

Sylvana said...

Entangled, thanks for that link. What an awful story! I guess at least I can feel good about the fact that she left me something and didn't trench my lawn!

Jennie, yeah, our neighborhood seems to be going downhill - they don't even save their shameful activities for the cloak of night anymore.

Primrosie, I think the BB gun idea would be far more effective.

Haddock, I wouldn't put it past those wily tree-rats.

Nickie, this is the first time that this has ever happened.
That I know of anyway.

Hanna, I can't believe that people wouldn't KNOW that!
I just try to think that there was a really good reason that she would do that - like her mom was in the hospital dying and she couldn't afford flowers to bring her.

Sylvana said...

Jenn, that is an interesting idea. I had a friend that collected them all the time to eat.

OldRoses said...

OMG! I'm so sorry. I've heard of this happening. Maybe it's never happened to me because I have always gardened in a fenced backyard. I just started gardening in my front yard. Guess I'll find out if there are any flower thieves in my town soon.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, this is the first time that I know of that this has happened in my garden and I have been gardening here for ten years, so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Good luck to you!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

I once lived in a different place, where a little 10 year old girl would come by and pick a few flowers she saw blooming. I didn't mind the poppies or daisies too much, I was sure to get more later... but when she picked ALL my tulips in one day, that got me angry. Well, she didn't realise some flowers bloom only once, and others will have more in a few days.