Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Forgotten Garden

I got back from my trip last week Tuesday. It was a fantastic adventure! Iceland, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England. SO much to see and do -- waterfalls, mountains, oceans, geysers, glaciers, amazing rock formations, castles, sea birds, dolphins, riding the train and ferry, blooming heather, Stonehenge, and, of course GARDENS!!

The climate in most of the places that I visited were mild and rainy, great conditions for growing things. I took lots of pictures. LOTS of pictures! And they will be coming once I sort through the 5027 pictures and video that we took!

There were enormous, gorgeous gardens at the castles that we visited, but even the homes and businesses had fantastic gardens as well. Every garden I saw gave me ideas for my own garden back home. I couldn't wait to get started.

But first... I have a new adventure! Taming the jungle that three weeks neglect made of my garden.






Hardly looks as though it could even be the same garden that I left (see previous post).
My vegetable garden looks even worse. I lost just about everything but the tomatoes and peppers.
Oh well. It was worth it!

3 comments:

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Sylvana,
I'd wondered what had happened to you! I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip and look forward to your photos when you get around to it!

You do have a jungle going there, but our garden got away from us due to rain and hot weather a few weeks ago, so we're back to trying to tame and weed it (again). A lot of your flowers did just fine though, and your coneflowers are still looking good, because ours are goldfinch feed now ... your Russian Sage is fantastic back there... I've got to get one of the big ones. I mistakenly planted a 'Little Spires' dwarf variety several years ago and it just struggles where it is, and is nowhere near that impressive!

Too bad about your veggies ... we just started enjoying fresh tomatoes and corn this past weekend, but the peppers were just a bust. Maybe you can still salvage some of yours? Good luck!

Glad to see you back posting again!

IVG

ilona1 said...

It kind of reminds me of F. Hodgson Burnett's "Secret Garden".

Sylvana said...

Thanks for dropping in Iowa Victory Gardener and Ilona. I especially like the gazebo picture. It does look like the secret garden!